8 | loyal

8 | LOYAL

The next morning

The next morning...
Jon woke up to see Reyanna's face. "You're leaving for Essos now?" Jon asked.

Reyanna smiled. "Sofina and Stefan have already left. I spoke with the Maester, and he said he'd be honored to have a Challinder to fight amongst his men." She informed him.

"You're staying?" Jon's face lit up.

"I have no place in Essos. But I have one here, in Westeros." She explained to him.

* * *

"Last time I saw him, he was in the courtyard at Winterfell. He said 'next time I see you, you'll be all in black.' I was jealous of Robb my whole life. The way my father looked at him, I wanted that. He was better than me at everything— fighting and hunting and riding and girls. Gods, the girls loved him. I wanted to hate him, but I never could." Jon told Samwell Tarly, his Night's Watch comrade, and Reyanna as he tugged on his clothes. Samwell has just delivered Jon the news that his brother, Robb, and his mother had been murdered at a wedding orchestrated by Walder Frey. They were to call that moment in history the Red Wedding.

"Sometimes I want to hate you." Samwell admitted to Jon.

"Sometimes I do hate you." Reyanna joked to Jon as she sat nearby sharpening her sword.

Jon looked at Samwell for him to elaborate. "Well, you're better than me at everything. Except reading... they're— um— they're ready for you." Samwell informed Jon about the leaders of the Night's Watch.

"He's wanted to hang me for a while. Now's his chance." Jon indirected Alliser Thorne.

"No one's going to hang you. You've done nothing wrong." Samwell told.

"I've done plenty wrong." Jon huffed before leaving him room.

* * *

Jon and Rey stood before Alliser Thorne and others that led the Night's Watch. "So you admit you murdered Qhorin Halfhand?" Alliser asked.

"I didn't murder him." Jon spoke blatantly.

"No? You put your sword through a brother of the Night's Watch. What do you call that?" Alliser asked.

"He wanted me to kill him." Jon told.

"A bastard son of a traitor. What would you expect?" Slynt, another leader, chimed in.

"The Halfhand believe the only way to stop Mance was to get a man inside his army." Jon stated.

"Don't talk about the Halfhand as if you knew him. He was my brother." Alliser spat.