Chapter 18

*Peyton*

I had just left my job interview for the medical clinic about 20 minutes away from here. I had been thinking long and hard about what Ray and I should do now that we're engaged and we have a kid. Of course the first thing that popped in my mind was the fact that we need our own place. That was pretty obvious to me. I was pretty sure I was gonna get the job mainly because of the fact that I actually went to school with the owner and we were very friendly throughout the whole interview and they seemed really interested in me.

I decided to stop by the store and get a newspaper to search for listings and a few groceries for the house. As I finished getting small things,I went over to the checkout line and looked at the houses for sale in the newspaper while I waited. I circled a few of them I wanted to show Ray.

Once the line went down,I placed all of my groceries on the moving belt,and got out my wallet,preparing to pay for the groceries.

The lady looked at me with an attitude,and she rung up my things,placing them in plastic bags. She also looked oddly familiar. She had short,spiked black hair and she looked Hispanic. She had a nose piercing and tattoos running down her arm and behind her ear,and she had bright red lipstick on with hoop earrings.

"$45.34." She said in a plain voice. I handed her $50 and she gave me my change.

I looked at her a second longer,and she sort of put a "what?" expression on her face.

"I'm sorry. It's just that you look so familiar." I said,chuckling a bit. She raised her eyebrow.

"Yea? You that Peyton girl aint ya?" She asked,like she was starting to remember me too.

"Yes! Did we go to school together or something like that."

"Yes,and I used to date Daniel,remember? Mean rich girl,long hair?" Her spanish accent was thick.

"Kristina?!" I said,frowning a bit.

"Yea,thats me." She said,motioning to her name tag.

"It's been a while since I've seen you." I said,not so happy anymore.

"Yea,well as you can see I changed up my look. Moved out to my dad's home in Mexico for a couple years,then had a kid and just recently moved back. What's about you? You look all dressed up for something huh?"

"Yea I just got back from a job interview. About to head back home."

"Yea well dont think just because you're all fancy and I'm working in a store means you're better than me. This is just temporary until I find a real job."

"I wasn't judging you on your job,but with that stank ass attitude I see you still have after all these years,you wont ever be able to get a job. Have a nice day." I grabbed my bags and rolled my eyes before walking out of the store.

I chuckled to myself,getting into my car. Some people just dont change.

.....

When I got home,I was warmly welcomed by Shad,who was in the backyard painting with Prince. When I had changed and went out there,he jumped up and hugged me,paint all on his face,hands,and clothes.

"Little boy! I just changed!" I yelled,laughing.

"Hey Mommy!" He screamed,still hugging me.

"Hey Pey."

"Hey Jacob. Thanks for watching him today. Although I'd hoped he'd be cleaner when I got home." I said,playfully frowning. I scooped up Shad and took him in the bathroom,cleaning him up and putting him on some comfortable clothes. I also changed clothes again because he had gotten paint on the ones im wearing now.

"Your uncle Jacob better hope this is washable paint cause if it isn't I'm going to beat him." I said,making Shad laugh.

He hopped up on my bed and paid back on the pillows,picking up the remote and pressing random buttons until he found his favorite channel. I called a few of the owners of the houses for sale,and scheduled open houses for us to go look at them. Afterwards,I went online and started looking at a few wedding dresses,because my big day is obviously approaching. The wedding will be delayed until we get situated into the new house and stuff.

After a few websites,I shut my laptop and laid back with Shad until I got a call from Ray. I immediately got worried,because he never called me during his work hours.

"Hello?"

"Hey Peyton."

"Is everything alright?"

"A few hours ago we got a call about a female who'd been hit on Beasley road while walking with her child. I decided to check up on her at the hospital with Dave to make sure everything was alright with her and no one was after her."

"Ray whats wrong?" I asked.

"Well when I got here,I was shocked. I never expected this." He said,and he paused a minute.

"Ray what is it?! Is it someone we know? Please tell me something." I said. By this time Shad was listening too and looking at me with nervous eyes. I gently grabbed his hand to let him know everything was alright,at least I thought.

"Just come to the hospital. You need to see this for yourself. Room 150." He said,before hanging up.

I sighed,frustrated that he wouldn't tell me who it was. I told shad to get his shoes and I threw on a hoodie and flip flops with my jeans.

We hurried to the car,and I drove to the hospital,nervous as ever.

When we arrived,we went up to room 150 like Ray said,an I found him sitting in the seat outside,talking with another officer.

When he saw me,his face lot up and he hugged me,introducing me to Dave. I smiled and greeted Dave,who was a chubby Caucasian man with short black hair.

There was also a little boy who looked mixed sitting beside Dave. He had on a superman shirt and ripped jeans,and looked no older that three. His short,curly hair reminded me of Jacob's. He actually looked a little like Jacob.

Dave decided to distract Shad and the boy by showin them a few magic tricks he knew while Ray took me to the side to talk.

"What's going on?" I asked Ray,my heart speeding up.

"Okay first of all calm down. Its fine,nothing major. Kristina just has two broken legs and she's in critical condition for now. The accident was pretty bad."

"Wait.. Did you say Kristina? Funny,I saw her at the grocery store earlier. "

"Yea,well she was hit by a car while walking her little boy,Carlos home." He motioned over to the small child,who looked scared and on the verge of tears.

"Poor thing. Does he have anywhere to go?" I asked.

"We dont know yet. They're still trying to get in contact with family with no luck so far. Thats not the part that got me though."

"Well,spill."

"Well,when we were observing her id,I noticed something. Imean it was major,but it could easily be a coincidence."

"Ray tell me." I said,getting very impatient.

"The id said Kristina Hathorn."

-------------------

Comment/ vote!!!

For those who have forgotten, the woman that raised Peyton,Penny,Amaya,and Kenya's last name was Hathorn,so it is also their last name.

Just a reminder :)