Chapter 47

I sighed and opened my eyes to see Aki standing.

"I'll wait in the car. Nadedemonyo ako." He sarcastically smiled at me before leaving.

Nakita ko rin kung paano pigilan ni Breii si Brile nang tatayo rin sana.

Are things really getting worse? God!

"Xyzzy are you sure you are not coming?" Rain asked me but keeps his eyes at Brile.

I nodded. "Yeah. Sabi nga ni Aki trabaho ko kayo." I bitterly said.

"He can goddamn handle himself." Madiin na sabi na naman ni Brile kaya napatingin ako sa kanya at narinig ko ang iba na suminghap.

"Brile, I will still stay just like what I did when you were sick." Madiin ko ring sabi at alam kong nagngingitngit na siya sa galit.

But I have to be fair between him and Zaine... even just for once. Kahit ito manlang ang way ko para... para bumawi.

"We have to go then." Breii seriously said and pulled Brile who didn't even touch his foods. "Let's go Brile Yu-Rhi." He said to Brile with a tone I never thought I would hear from him.

Nagdadabog naman na tumayo na si Brile na sinundan na ng iba.

Tumayo rin muna ako para ihatid sila sa may pinto at nagulat ako nang akala ko hahalik sa 'kin si Zahir pero may ibinulong lang.

"I hope you know what you're getting yourself into." And he hugged me for a while before leaving too.

Nakatulala lang ako doon hanggang makaalis sila, digesting Zahir and Aki's words.

I held my cheeks as I get in. Tama ba talaga na hinayaan ko si Brile sa sistema ko? But I know it's too late for me to get myself away from him. I know I'm falling... hard. And if I ignore him, baka mas magulo dahil sa ugali na rin ni Brile. Knowing how unpredictable and rude he is.

Pinakalma ko muna ang sarili ko bago ako naghanda ng pagkain na ibibigay ko kay Zaine.

I'm on the bottom of the stairs, stuck. I don't really know how to face Zaine. Hindi ko alam kung may alam siya or maybe because I'm guilty.

I went upstairs and just when I was about to knock on the door, my phone notified me a message.

I pulled it out of my skirt since I'm still on my uniform, and opened the message from Brile.

Make sure to update me every single details or I'll rush there and you'll never know what will happen next.

That's the message and I can't help but sigh. I replied plain 'okay' and entered in their room, forgot to knock.

He's sitting on his bed facing the wall, with his phone on his ear.

"Mommy I miss you so much... I hope you're here... I'll be fine mommy... sure, please kiss Jamie for me... I love you so much... bye mom." He put off the call and threw his head back.

It's like, he's exhausted or maybe he misses his family so much. It makes the guilt stronger. He's just so sweet and he doesn't deserve pain.

"Zaine?" I almost stuttered but hides it with a smile.

He looks at me and smiled weakly. "Why are you still here?"

Even his voice is so weak. May sakit nga talaga siya, ang tamlay niya.

"Aki told me you're sick. Of course I have to stay and look after you." I went near him and sits on the bed besides his, putting the tray of foods on his bed.

"You should've left." He whispered and leaned on his bed's headboard.

"Ano'ng sakit mo?" I asked instead.

"Flu."

"Do you take meds?"

"No. Water therapy and rest." He smiled. "I told you, you should've left."

Ngumiti nalang ako at umupo sa bed niya, kaharap siya. I picked the plate and tried to feed him but he gently shoved my hand away, put the spoon back on the plate before caressing and tightly holding it.

His hands are so warm and gentle... even his eyes.

"Zaine..." That's all I can say as I watch him caress my both hands.

He smiled and stared at me. "Will you help me unlike you?"

I run out of words with what he said. I heard the sincerity and the pain... it kills me.

"I'm way too soft for heartbreaks." His eyes water and so was mine.

"Zaine what-"

"Xyzzy I'm not dumb nor numb." He cut me off. "I thought you cleared it from the start that you don't like any of us."

I looked away. I didn't know what to answer so I pulled my hand back and shake my head.

"Xyzzy I hope you told me that you will not like anyone among us but him. Sweetheart you're unfair."

My heart broke even more with his tone and words. He's right. I'm unfair.

"Zaine... I tried not to like or have feelings to any of you but-"

"You didn't try harder."

I covered my face with hands and shook my head. "Zaine I'm sorry."

"Xyzzy I know things up between you and Brile." His voice broke that made me look at him. "Watching him walk out of your room, kissing and touching you... Xy I tried not to be hurt. But I really just like you and I never expected that you will not be firm with your words."

"How..." I mumbled.

"Like I have said, I'm not dumb nor numb." He looked away and frowned. "Sana hindi nalang din ako lumaban ng patas."

Tumulo na ang luha ko. I don't know. I'm too frustrated to myself. I can't stand watching Zaine like this or hear his words. I never hurt someone like this.

"Xyzzy why him? What did you like about him? His rudeness? The angst? Just tell me what. My thoughts will be the death of me." He placed the tray on the other bed, scooped near me and held my both arms, trying to look at my eyes.

"Zaine I don't know." I sobbed and tried getting away but he wouldn't let me.

"Am I really not enough in everything I do? Am I really not worthy of the things I like?" He asked, trying to hold me closer.

"Zaine please enough... lalayuan ko na siya. I will finish things up." I wiped my tears, still trying to get his hands off me.

"Don't say that!"

I flinched when he shouted. Oh please.

"Alam kong hindi mo gagawin, hindi mo kaya. Surely lahat kami matitiis mo but him." He pulled me closer to him that made my tears fall again.

"Stop Zaine please!" I begged this time.

This is too much! I was just very happy and satisfied last night then morning comes, this happens.

"Is he that good? In kissing, in touching, in bed?!"

His last words sink very deep in my ears.

"Zaine stop!" I shouted and cried my heart out.

Somehow it made him calm that me carried me to his lap and hugged me tightly as continuously whisper how sorry he is.

I heard my phone ringing and as much as I wanted to reach it, Zaine won't let me.

I wiped the last tear through his shoulder just when the door bangs open and saw Brile with the expression I never wished to see.

- - - - - -