Chapter 32

I awoke early the next morning before the sun had burned through the heavy blanket of mist hovering over the compound. I felt refreshed and ready to begin training.

After I had showered and braided my hair, I entered the dining room area and discovered a mug of caf, steam curling from the rich, dark brown liquid. Beside the mug sat a plate of food fresh from the kitchen. I sat, shoving a slab of freshly baked bread into my mouth and washing it down with a sip of caf.

"Good morning my apprentice. Did you sleep well?" I glanced up as Darth On'kayak folded himself into the chair across from me. I nodded, sipping from the mug. He smiled as I raised the caf in a salute.

"This is one of the best cups I've ever had. It's almost as good as Ob-" I trailed off as Obi-Wan's face flashed across my vision. The last cup of caf he had made me had been here. I could still hear the fire crackling and smell the delicious aroma-

I looked up as Darth On'Kayak cleared his throat.

"Sorry, I zoned out for a moment. You were saying?"

"We will begin your training today. I will push you to your limits, both physically, emotionally and through the Force. Are you ready?" His soulless black eyes stared intently at me, studying my face. I met his gaze and nodded forcefully.

"I am, my master. Show me the Dark Side." The corner of his mouth curled into a wolfish grin.

"Then let us begin." Without so much as a stir in the Force, he lept at me and his fist connected with my temple. My vision spun as the mug of caf flew from my grasp and shattered on the floor as I dove away. On'kayak's fist then connected with my kidney and I howled as my vision faded to black as more blow rained down on my hunched over form. Then there was nothing.

A wrenching pain jerked me awake. I groaned and blinked the grit out of my eyes and attempted to sit up, only to discover that my arms were secured tightly behind my back. A piece of rough cloth covered my eyes.

"You have until sundown to make it back to the compound. You will have a pocket knife." A high pitched shing announced that Darth On'kayak had pulled my knife from his belt and he threw it in front of me, and I heard the hilt quivering as it got stuck in the dirt. "And you will have nothing else but the Force and your wits. Be warned, I have eyes and ears everywhere and savages roam these woods. Good luck and may the Force be with you."

I grunted, and maneuvered myself into a sitting position. I nodded in his general direction as I heard a speeder roar to life. The whine of the engine faded as I rotated my hands, attempting to loosen the bounds wrapped around my wrists.

I bit my tongue to keep from crying out as I twisted around, fingers searching desperately for the hilt of the knife so I could free my hands. Dirt scraped against the tender skin under my fingernails as I groped for the knife. My fingers brushed something and I curled the tips of my fingers around it, balancing the hilt of the knife just within my grasp. I then flipped the blade upwards and used the Force to slip it down between the narrow gap between my hands. The cord loosened and I stretched before I ripped the blindfold off.

I squinted as the sun flooded into my eyes. My sides ached and my head throbbed as I stood shakily to my feet. I tucked the knife into my boot and scanned my surroundings, attempting to figure out where I was. I could no longer hear the speeder so I must be quite far from the compound. I frowned as I stood next to a tree that stretched towards the sky.

I heaved myself onto the lowest branch and swung myself into the tree, each and every muscle groaning in protest as I climbed higher. Sweat plastered my hair to the back of my neck as my arms trembled with the effort as I reached for the heavens. I brushed a handful of broad, dark green leaves out of my face as I reached the top of the tree. I scanned the area, and when I couldn't see any physical signs of the compound, I stretched out with the Force- and felt nothing. Nothing at all. I rammed into a wall of dark energy that prevented me from feeling anything further than a few kilometers in any direction.

With a growl, I carefully climbed down, mind whirling. As my boots hit the ground, I heard the snapping of twigs and the heavy footsteps of someone clomping through the forest. I held my breath and drew the knife from my boot. I steadied my hand and darted behind the thick trunk of the nearest tree as the footsteps drew closer. I peeked my head out and studied the figure in front of me. A young woman stood hunched over the discarded blindfold I had dropped, a long dagger strapped to her leg and a bow slung across her narrow shoulders. She was clothed in a tunic and trousers made of animal furs and skins and was barefoot. I shifted and a twig snapped under my boot. Her head snapped up and her piercing gaze settled on the tree behind which I was hiding.

"Hello? Who's there?" I cursed my stupidity and gripped my knife. I stepped out and held out my hands, showing her the knife.

"Hi. My name is Skylar." She narrowed her eyes and hesitantly sheathed the knife, before she lunged for mine. I smoothly stepped back and grasped her wrist. She snarled at me and aimed a kick at my knees. I turned to the side and used her monument to throw her off balance and I then let go of her wrist and she lost her balance. I pinned her to the tree using the Force. She withered and glared seething at me.

"Who are you?" she spat.

"I am Darth Tytar, daughter of Darth Vader. Who are you?"

"I am Lexxi, daughter of the chief of the tribe of Scav, also known as "the savages" as you so kindly call us." We glared at each other before I let her go. I stooped and placed my knife back in my boot, knowing that I could overpower her using the Force. Lexxi glared at me.

"Do you know how to get back to the compound?"

"What compound?" she retorted, stalking away from me. I reached out through the Force and snagged her mid-stride.

"You know exactly what compound I'm talking about. Where is it?" Disdain curled her face as I tugged her slowly towards me. "Come on. The sooner you tell me, the sooner I can be on my way and I can get out of your hair." She tilted her head.

"I don't know exactly where it is. Every now and again, the compound seems to shift locations. I can show you the last place I remember it being. Now let me go." I cocked an eyebrow as she struggled to escape my grasp.

"Fine. Let's go." I let her go and she removed the bow from her shoulder. I shot her a questioning glance as she stalked away.

"This woods are dangerous, and a little pocket knife is not going to protect you. Why are you out here with nothing to defend yourself any way?"

"This is part of my training. I have until sunset to return to the compound." Lexxi wrinkled her nose.

"Training?"

"Yes. I am a Sith."

"A Sith?" I sighed quietly. They really were savages.

"The invisible power I used to overpower you?" She grunted at my barb. "It's called the Force. It runs through every living being, binding us together. Some can harness this power and bend it, and use it to lift things with their minds, enhanced athletical abilities. . ." I trailed off as a look of recognition dawned on her face.

"The Force? Is that what you call it? Here, we call it the Spirit." I turned to look at her.

"You can use the Force?"

"The Spirit, and yes I can." She closed her eyes and rose several feet off the ground. She then proceeded to lift me from the ground and shoved me away. I flew several meters back before she not so gently set me down.

"Why didn't you use it to fight back against me?" She shrugged.

"I use the Spirit only when I must. I knew you did not mean to harm me, so I let you win."

"Let me win."

"Yes. Unlike you, I call upon both the Light and the Dark. My tribe has achieved something you desperately search for; I have achieved perfect balance and peace." I glared at her as I closed my mind to her gentle yet insistent probing.

"You know nothing about me. How long until we reach the compound?" She tilted her face towards the slowly sinking sun.

"Several hours at least."

"Alright then. Let's move out."