Chapter 2: A New Beginning (Nate POV)

~ ~ ~

"So you have been held there for ten years?" the officer who addressed himself as Officer Yoon asked me.

"Yes, that's true," I admitted.

That's where I have been for the last few hours, in a police station. The police interrogation takes forever, that's what I have learnt. But I guess they were helping me out so I totally understand. I mean if you have been trapped in a basement for a decade, would you not want to find out why on Earth you ended up there in the first place?

Wait...trapped in a basement? You must be wondering who I am right? Ok let me introduce myself~

I'm Nathan Low and I'm 18 this year. Honestly, I prefer to call myself 'Nate' because it's short and sweet (I mean is it not?). And if my name is not obvious enough, yes I am Singaporean.

I spent ten years trapped in the basement of a house and how I ended up there, only the heavens know. If I could even remember anything from my harrowing time there, it would be that I was tied down to the control of two kidnappers, who always wore masks whenever I was with them. Initially I had no idea I was even in Korea until they accidentally blurted it out while they were moaning. On a daily basis, I was tortured, beaten up and living a life akin to slavery, which was basically hell.

And not knowing my captors' names was a given. Which captor would be stupid enough to do that?

Anyways, after a while, the strangest event occurred: they did not greet me with their presence and orders at all. So I saw this as a chance to escape. I forcefully broke down the door keeping me from the outside world and broke free. I ended up finding a police station...I mean it was the only place I could go to...and I told the police what happened to me. Fortunately, I was forced to learn Korean by my captors so I could at least converse with them. Well...overall it is not that bad...but I still prefer to speak in English...meh~

It has already been a year already and a lot has changed, in particular the fact that I virtually under round-the-clock surveillence from the authorities. They need to ensure that I did not get caught by my captors again while also checking for any suspicious behaviour around me. You could say it is a huge priviledge to have reliable assistance and protection from danger, but I kind of feel burdened by it because it only means I am not out of danger.

So it also involves me making regular visits to the police station to give a report on my daily activities, which is why I was there then. Officer Yoon was substituting for the head inspector who usually asked me such questions because the latter was away on a business trip.

"Omo. It is really frightening. I guess it was totally sensible for you to be under close watch for your safety then," Officer Yoon was startled.

"I suppose. But I am coping well so don't worry too much for me," I assured him.

"Right," he told me, "before you go, I've been asked by the inspector to pass you this letter. In the interest of safety and confidential reasons, you should open it at home."

"Ne, kamsahabnida officer-nim," I nodded.

Soon, I left the station and headed out onto the streets that would lead me home. But on the way though, I stopped by a music shop.

Since I have stayed in Korea for over a year now, I had grown to become accustomed to the world of Kpop. In fact, I already have become a dedicated fan of the genre. As for favourite groups, well I guess I'll go with what most fanboys like: SNSD~

Teehee, fanboy problems~

But hey, I do like other groups too! SNSD just came to mind first that's all...

I proceeded to browse around the shop and check out the new album releases. Recently, I got interested in BTOB and Super Junior, so I spent a bit longer in those sections of the shop.

The shop door opening caught my attention though. It seemed like there was some big event happening, because there were all these film crews and directors entering the shop. Perhaps they were filming for a drama?

Smartly, I decided to leave. If my captors spot me on TV, I'm basically dead.

But as I tried to leave the shop, I ran into someone. Argh, stupid brain that doesn't pay attention to my surroundings...

"Mianhaeyo! I wasn't looking!" I immediately apologised to the person I bumped into. "Please don't hurt me!"

The person did not seem to react to my apology so I was prepared to run, until...

"Jakkanman! Don't go yet..."

The voice was a girl's voice?!

I forced myself to turn around to look at her...and it made sense why cameras were following her and all; she has the looks of a member from a Kpop group! Problem was, I was not sure which one. Ah, probably from one of the newer, but less well-known groups was my presumption.

"Waeyo...?" I stepped forward slowly.

"I should be the one apologising..." she said shyly. "I was on the phone so I myself was not paying attention either. Don't take all the blame..."

"Oh..." I stopped. "Ok, but still I'm sorry..."

I noticed that she stared at me weirdly. Creepy much?

"Have we met somewhere before?" she suddenly threw that question at me. "You look like..."

"Yah! Watch your words. You know it's real scary that you remember stuff that I don't even know. This is like our first meeting!" I blurted out not caring about the fact that I was talking down to an idol.

"Oh...um...mianhae...." she said in an apologetic tone. "I did not mean to hurt your..."

"Taeso! (A/N: Please correct me if I mispelt the pronunciation) You keep apologising. I accept your apologies!" I snapped.

"Wait, before you go," she stopped me and fumbled around for her purse.

Seriously, what is with her? I know she's like Kpop idol and all, but how the heck is she even free to do all this?! Hiatus??

She then passed me a piece of paper that she wrote something on rather quickly. It seemed like an address of sorts. Why though?

"Meet me there," she explained. "We need to talk..."

But before I could even answer her, she left quickly and entered the music shop that I just exited.

After such a hectic day, I guess I could only go back home. Sigh~

~ ~ ~

A/N: Here, you are introduced to Nate! I guess his arrival in the series is less dark-themed and more normal if you like to call it. There are reasons why I made him the character he is and the clues lie in the story itself.

(Update 11/9/2014)

Yep, the group is SKarf, and I have changed the name of this character again. In real life, Tasha has a older brother named 'Nicholas' so the previous name of 'Nick' cannot be used.

Vote + Comment ~