Chapter 5: Work Together (Nate POV)

~ ~ ~

"Nate..." Stefan told me. "I think there was a reason why the inspector personally asked you to pass me the letter..."

As my new found friend said that, I could not help but question the nature of the letter itself. Yes, my whole life has been a complete mess and I rather not have a traumatic past to deal with. But it seemed like now is when I needed my knowledge of my past.

Stefan then revealed something shocking.

"Actually, I did not stay in Korea for my whole life. I actually...used to believe I was fully Singaporean, like you and Tasha," he explained.

Eh? He was...?

Ah right, Stefan said that Tasha was a Singaporean too. Hmm...why do I have a strange feeling about this...? Is that the reason why she asked me to meet her?? Emm...

"You mean...you lived in Singapore?" Tasha asked Stefan, which brought me back to reality.

"For about seventeen years, yes," Stefan answered.

Stefan proceeded to open the letter. At that moment, Tiffany and Tasha got up and went upstairs, presumably to Tiffany's room. There was a degree to confidential stuff after all...

Stefan and I began skimming throught the letter's contents. And yep, I was in for a shock alright.

(Letter)

To: Stefanus Hwang Mi Yang

From: Head Inspector Kim Ming Gyu (Seoul Police Division)

Hello Stefan,

How has your life been in Korea so far? I presume it has been fine. But you know, I believe you need to be extra careful now.

Remember the officer who helped you get freed from your kidnapping together with Tiffany? Officer Wong? Lately, we have been conversing through e-mail and we have made some discoveries.

Unfortunately, a month after you arrived in Korea, a breach in the security system in Singapore meant that your captors, Mr and Mrs Tan, have escaped. Officer Wong has since launched an international search for them. He contacted me as soon as possible and told me to inform you to keep a close watch on you. But during that time, I was informed you were slowly establishing yourself as a SM Rookie, so the department only received updates from SM.

There is a growing speculation that the Tans have fled Singapore already and are possibly seeking to escape further with the help of accomplices. A month ago, we have dug into their contacts and found some frequently used numbers...with a number of them from Korea...

But it seems like we have a lead, because currently under our protection now is a Singaporean teenager, of your age. He told us he had escaped from captivity about a year ago from today. Apparently, he believed his captors fled.

The very fact that he's actually Singaporean means there is a possibility he could lead us to your captors (since there is a possibility of accomplices). We are protecting him in Korea also because we need you two to meet up.

I sent him to give this letter to you, so I hope you two have already met by now. I will keep in contact with Officer Wong and see what he has got in his database for our Singaporean friend here.

By the way, his name is Nathan.

Anyways, stay safe and keep watch around you.

Yours Sincerely, Inspector Kim.

(Letter End)

"Oh my..." I was at a loss for words. So this is why they want to keep me in Korea for the time being. All the while I thought it was because it's the safest bet rather than getting lost in Singapore without any knowledge of my relatives. But it soon became clear as to the motive of the inspector's actions. Not that they were terrible...