41. you

Oh shit here we go
——————————
Kat was getting tired, tired of watching Matty and Alice get off, tired of not having anyone want her and tired of this fucking camping trip.

Everyone was sat round the campfire, roasting marshmallows. She stared down at her zoot, watching Matty and Alice in her peripheral. Suddenly, she felt sad, like extremely sad. It was as if all her anger and frustration had disintegrated and what was left was all her sadness.

It was as if Matty could sense it, he was grinning at Alice when he felt something tell him to look at Kat. Alice started kissing his neck as he watched her, watched her stare at the floor with a look of devastation.

"Matty, what's wrong?" Alice whispered to him, her breath causing goosebumps on his skin. He turned his head, trying his best to tell himself that he Kat was fine and didn't need him.

"Nothing, just tired." He smiled, giving her a quick kiss. He didn't know how much Alice loved him, he had an idea but everyday she surprised him with something that made it seem much more. He didn't know if he could ever love someone that much and that scared him. They had been good for the past few weeks, it scared him slightly.

George took a seat on the log next to Kat, resting his head on her shoulder. Kat rested hers on his head and sighed.

"They say being single is meant to be fun. I've never seen the appeal for relationships and here I am wishing someone would come and put their arm around me and tell me they love me." She vented to him, George put his arm around her and smiled.

"I love you Kat." He grinned, both of them knowing he meant it platonically.

"Stop getting my hopes up you tree." She joked, nudging him. He chuckled but shrugged nonetheless.

Matty watched the exchange between George and Kat as Alice spoke to him about something. He wasn't on his game tonight, usually he could control where his eyes linger but it seems as if the weed had gone straight to them.

"Matty, baby, you should go to sleep. You're exhausted." Alice said to him, he didn't say anything, just nodded and pulled her with him across the camp.

Kat watched the couple, making eye contact with them both at some point. George pushed her face away from them which made her laugh.

Matty heard her laugh, his heart hurt slightly which made him feel all kind of things he hadn't felt in a while. It was confusing to say the least.

Kat looked up to the sky, her heart heavy, her eyes watering and took a deep breath. The weed was hitting her in a bad way tonight. George gave her a light kiss on the cheek before making his way into his tent. That's when she realised everyone was going to bed, she wasn't ready for that.

Matty couldn't sleep, he could see her silhouette through his tent. He looked at his sleeping girlfriend and wondered how long he had been sleepless for. She looked so beautiful when she slept but he told her now enough for her to know it.

When he watched the silhouette stand up, stopping for a second before walking in the wrong direction. He couldn't help himself, he had ignored the voice talking to him all night and now he knew he needed to listen. He made sure to leave the tent quietly before following Kat into the woods.

It wasn't until he heard her gasp and wipe her face did he realise she was crying. It suddenly dawned on him that maybe he shouldn't have followed her.

"Kat?" He asked, causing her to jump out of her skin. She didn't answer, just stared at him. "What's wrong?" His heart hurt even more now. He ran to her, wanting to protect her from whatever was hurting her.