64. dreaming things i have the right to see

A few texts from people came through saying good luck, her dad called her, Tammy and George had both texted but nothing from Matty. She knew he wasn't exactly ecstatic about the idea of her moving to London, he had been supportive to her face but the actions weren't there and were definitely not speaking louder than the words.

She had arrived home on the Sunday to Angie with champagne and a cake. They had noticeably grown closer since the hatred Kat had carried for her when she arrived on that first day. Kat has never hated her truly but now she wouldn't even think of it.

"Good luck. You're going to be amazing." Angie squeezed her tightly as she dropped her off in front of the label's office buildings. "I'll be in a caf 'round the corner so just call me when you get out."

Kat looked down at her phone, no messages. She sighed and Angie bit her lip.

"Turn it off until you get out of there. Don't let it cloud you being you." She advised. Kat took the advice and switched it off.

She entered the building and gave her name to the woman at the desk. The woman looked her up and down, judging her dress made by Angie as part of her fashion coursework. Kat liked it, it was a collared t-shirt dress with the words 'oh no' all over it. It was smart casual with that bit of edge that she knew record labels liked.

Kat had done her research, she knew who was signed to the label and was already starting to think of how she could write songs, not about Matty, about things that they would sing about.

A different person led her up the lift and into a room full of familiar faces. Kat had also done her research on the people who worked there, famous producers and technicians as well as songwriters.

The one person she didn't expect to see there was Alex from the Arctic Monkeys. She followed the assistant, her eyes glued on him. She couldn't believe she was in the presence of celebrity crush. He looked up at her, his hair gelled into a nice quiff and gave her a friendly smile. She smiled back before entering a room away from him.

"Wait here." The assistant told her. She was a petite girl, looked like she was full of dreams. Kat smiled and did as she was told.

Kat took a seat and looked around. The room was filled with records from numerous artists, notable mentions were The Beatles, Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Queen.

Then, Alex walked in. Kat took a deep breath and stared at the floor. She did not know how to compose herself around someone so famous. The assistant walked out of the room and seemed just as stunned as Kat felt.

"Is Robert ready yet?" Alex asked. Kat looked up and watched the conversation go down.

"He has an eleven o'clock interview and then you can meet with him" Kat was surprised with how brave the assistant was being. Alex Turner was a very intimidating character.

"I've been 'ere for an hour" He replied, the assistant's eyes shifted to Kat as if they were pleading for something. Kat caught on.

"I don't mind waiting." She piped up. Alex turned around to the voice and squinted his eyes as if he was trying to figure out something.

"Okay, I will let Mr Long know" The assistant breathed out and went back into the room. Alex was still staring at Kat and it was making her slightly uncomfortable.

"Do I know you?" He asked Kat didn't expect that.

"I don't believe so" She replied, he sighed and shook his head.

"Sorry, I must be going mad. I could've sworn I've seen you somewhere before" He took a seat on the adjacent wall's seating area and rubbed his eyes, something Kat had seen Matty do numerous times. "Anyway, I'm Alex" He introduced politely.