Deal: Chapter 11

“DEAL”

Chapter 11

Author’s Note: Chapters 9 to 12 are written from Xiao You’s point of view. Just to make it equal. I’ll return to third person narrative in the succeeding chapters.

A couple of days later Shan Cai visited us. I told her about my conversation with Xi Men's mother.

"So are you gonna give Xi Men a chance?” She asked. We were at my bedroom. I was feeling tired and I just wanted to lie down in bed. Xiao Tian was fast asleep in the nursery room.
I sighed. "I don't know."
"But you love him, right?"
"Shan Cai, you know that I love Xi Men. Even now, he's still the man of my dreams." I turned sideways so I can face my best friend. "But maybe it should be like that only."
"What do you mean?" She turned around to face me too.
"I mean that Xi Men should remain a man of my dreams, not a man of my real life. Of my actual daily life."
"But Xi Men really wants to marry you. He wants to be together with you now." Shan Cai pressed on.
"Should it matter what he wants now? What about what I want?”
"Xiao You, what does your heart really say about your feelings for Xi Men? Because right now it's your head that's talking and not your heart."
"I want us to be together of course."
"Then be together." She smiled.

Be together.
Be together.
Be together. I remember from a long time ago when I asked Xi Men why two people who like each other can't be together. Back then he had issues with his past. Now, I am the one with issues for our future.

"I wish it's that simple."
"You know, I don't understand why you and Xi Men have this complicated situation. Nobody's opposing your relationship and marriage. You're quite fortunate than me you; got easy with Xi Men's parents. Do you know how many obstacles Dao Ming Si and I had to overcome because of his mother? A LOT! But for the two of you, it's only you Xiao You who's in the way."

I pondered on what Shan Cai said. It's true. I'm the only one who's totally opposed with our getting together.

The following week I had the same conversation with my own mother.

"Isn't this the love that you want?”
"Maybe. I'm not so sure anymore. Maybe five or seven years ago, it's what I wanted the most. But now..."
"What happened to my fearless daughter? You were never afraid to fight for what you want. Why are you suddenly afraid? What are you really most afraid of right now?
"She's gone. The moment I have Xiao Tian that fearlessness has gone."
"So this is because of your son?"
"Yes."
"I understand. But he needs two parents. A mother and a father."
"I'm not denying Xi Men to be a father to our son. But being married to him is a different matter altogether."
"I see."
"Ma, why are all of you keen for Xi Men and I to get married?"
"Because you two love each other. We all want a happy ending for both of you." Then she hugged me.

A happy ending. Our story is not a fairy tale. Xi Men is indeed a handsome prince but he only existed in my dreams.

© Franzz P. Follow on Instagram @onceinalifetimearc2018
Date written: December 21, 2018