Deal: Chapter 12

“DEAL”

Chapter 12

Author’s Note: Chapters 9 to 12 are written from Xiao You’s point of view. Just to make it equal. I’ll return to third person narrative in the succeeding chapters.

There’s only a month left before Xiao Tian’s first birthday. Xi Men’s mother hired an event planner so I wasn’t as involved as I should be. I guess I should be relieved because I have no idea how to plan a “grand first birthday party” especially when the guests invited are people of high social status.

It just dawned on me how different my world is from Xi Men and his family. I knew he is rich and his family are one of the wealthiest in the country but he never acted like some spoiled, rich, bratty kid. Actually, none of the F4 ever act like they are so high above us - low and poor people. Well, in the beginning Shan Cai and I were very intimidated by their social status and since Shan Cai and Dao Ming Si were also enemies at that time. In due course, we got to know all of the guys and learned how very amiable and down to earth they are. Xi Men was the one that really stood out the most to me. Maybe because he noticed me and talked to me that first time he and Hua Ze Lei came into the shop. I had an immediate crush on him of course and when he started flirting with me I flirted back at him. We’ve been flirting with each other but it was just a playful flirtation. I liked him but I really didn’t expect he would like me back. Like, like me, like me. Then that double date fiasco happened and who would come to my rescue but Xi Men Yan? He avenged me for the way my ex-boyfriend treated and ditched me. I think that was the moment my crush evolved into love. As Shan Cai’s relationship with Dao Ming Si became more troubled and complicated, Xi Men and I were drawn closer to each other. I was touched when he offered to protect me when Dao Ming Feng attacked my family. I mean this guy has nothing to do with me and yet he promised he would protect me and my family?

Thinking about that now, he has been saying the same thing over and over again. This time it’s me and Xiao Tian. My family. His family. Our family.

Whoa! Hold that thought Jiang Xiao You!

Anyway, about the party. I hoped my side of the family won’t get intimidated with the other guests. And I hope that my son won’t be displayed like a prized trophy or something. Yes, Xiao Tian is gonna be announced as the third in line heir and successor of the Xi Men clan but as much as possible I still want to protect him. Protect us actually. People are going to wonder where he came from and how he came to be. And when they’ll find out that Xi Men and I aren’t married yet I know there’ll be backlash against me, against my son and against my family. I know this from Shan Cai’s experience. It’s not easy to marry into a family like Dao Ming Si’s and Xi Men’s. And I guess that’s part of the reason too why I am hesitant to marry him. To marry into their family.

I am a very confused woman and mother right now. I need more time to think things through before I decide on anything.

And maybe before Xiao Tian grows into a big boy. My baby boy has grown so much in the last eleven months. How can this little bundle become so big in a short time? And he’s quite a fast learner too. We were all proud when he first rolled over on his own. Cheered when he learned to crawl. Clapped when he sat on his own. And now we’re all excited for his first solo steps.
It didn’t escape my notice how Xi Men made effort to witness all these firsts in our son’s life. Thankfully, Dao Ming Si recorded in photos and videos my pregnancy journey. He really wanted his best friend to be there but because I’ve asked him not to, he said he’d do his best to document everything so that Xi Men wouldn’t miss out on his son’s life. That actually touched me. Quietly, I sent my prayer of thanks to Dao Ming Si and Shan Cai. They’ve been married for quite a while now and sadly they have problems conceiving on their own. I pray that the gods would grant them their hearts’ desires because these two really deserved a child of their own.