The Truth Revealed

The sky was slowly turning a dark purple, with the stars starting to reveal themselves, as Hilda, Alric and Martha were making their way towards the Great Hall, with the Night Fury just behind them. Hilda kept looking back, making sure she was keeping up with them. 

Martha explained to them that while they were in the forest, Hiccup had finally decided it was time to elude everyone about the existence of the Night Fury. He called upon everyone to come into the Great Hall, which explained why Berk felt more quiet than usually. 

"When Linda came by and told him you came back, he asked me to get you guys as quick as I can." Martha explained.

"Ah. I hope everyone didn't have to wait for too long." Hilda said. 

"No, not at all." Martha assured them. They quickly picked up their pace before reaching the top of a flight of stairs, leading to the doors of the Great Hall. Martha, who was in front of them, opened the door, not too wide. She waved at her dad, who was standing at the end in front of a crowd, who were filling up all of the corners of the room. Hiccup saw his daughter and gave a wave back. 

She then closed the door. "OK. I'm going to go inside to join my dad. Sterling will knock on the door. That's your cue to bring the Night Fury in." she explained to Hilda. She looked behind her when she gave a confused face. 

"Speaking of which, where is she?" Hilda looked behind her and noticed that the Night Fury was not behind her anymore. 

"What the...?" Hilda said confusingly. "Hey! Hey, where are you?!" she called out. She went down the stairs, looking around hastily, fearing that the dragon flew away. She made it to the bottom of the stairs, looked to her left and let out a small yelp. 

"Hey, are you OK?" Alric asked.

Hilda pointed at her direction. "Found her." Alric and Martha made their way down the stairs and saw what Hilda was pointing to - the Night Fury almost hiding on the side of the stairs. 

"Wow. She really blends in with the darkness." Alric mentioned. 

"You bet." Hilda replied. She then looked closer at the Night Fury, realising that her eyes were, for the first time, of fear, constantly looking up at the door as if it would explode at any moment. Her body was curled up, almost tense. 

"I think she's scared." Hilda mentioned. 

"Scared of what?" Alric asked confusingly. 

"Scared of being surrounded by a bunch of Vikings. She's only been with us for the past week. Now, she needs to get used to being around with the rest of us and... I don't think she's ready." Hilda reached out her hand, carefully patting the dragon's head. 

She looked back at Alric and Martha. "You guys go inside. I'll try to calm her down before Sterling knocks on the door." she suggested. 

"Will you be OK?" Alric asked. Hilda nodded with confidence and with that, Alric and Martha went back up the stairs and inside the Great Hall. 

Once they were gone, Hilda looked at the Night Fury, seemingly looking a bit calmer but still scared. She sat down with her legs crossed, facing her. 

"I know you're afraid. I would be too - facing a room of Vikings. Big, scary Vikings. But I promise you. No one is going to hurt you. We would never even think about hurting you." She then placed her hand on the side of the Night Fury's head. "And... if for some stupid reason they would want to, I'll make sure it won't happen. Never." The Night Fury growled softly at her words, now looking even more calm.

Hilda smiled and began to get up from her crossed position. As soon as she got up on her feet, she heard a loud knocking sound coming from the doors of the Great Hall.