Stuck On The Ground Again

"I knew this will happen! I told you we would get into trouble!"

"Relax! It's going to be OK. I'm sure he'll understand if we explain the situation."

"That's easy for you to say!"

It was rare to see Hilda in a panicking state. Being the stubborn Viking that she was known to be, feeling fear was something she would feel last after she got into a situation. But having already faced Hiccup's anger for doing something stupid, she was not looking forward to it again. And Martha's assurance was not helping a bit.

The girls were both running through the pathways of Berk, making their way to the Great Hall where they were told by Alric that was where Hiccup was. As they went up the stairs, Hilda took a deep breath before opening the door.

The Hall was quieter than usual, with only a few Vikings occupying the area, drinking and talking as most Vikings do. They looked around until they found Hiccup, sitting on the far end of a table, looking clearly stressed.

Hilda gulped. "Well, here goes nothing." She began to walk up to him, with Martha behind her. She reached to the other end of where he was sitting, but he didn't notice her because he was looking down on a bunch of paper in front of him.

"Umm... Hiccup?" Hilda said nervously. He looked up after hearing her, letting out a big sigh of relief when he saw her. He rubbed his face, removing the stress he had before getting up.

"Where in Thor's name were you?" he demanded.

She sighed with guilt. "I'm sorry. I was with Martha and... we flew out of Berk and..."

"Out of Berk?!" he exclaimed, shocked at what he heard. 

"We didn't go far, I promise!"

"Did anyone see you?"

"N..no. At least, I didn't see anyone." 

Hiccup sighed at the response before taking deep breaths, not wanting to shout at her. "Hilda, listen to me. You can't be this reckless. No one knows about Starlight and going out only puts her in danger. Until I'm confident that nothing would happen to her, you both stay on Berk. Do you understand?"

Hilda nodded in understanding. She was saddened by the fact that she couldn't fly out again, but she understood his reasoning.

"So she's just stuck here?" Hilda and Hiccup were now facing Martha, who looked annoyed at the situation. 

"She's not stuck here, Martha. I'm only making sure she's safe."

"By stopping her to explore the world? She has a dragon now, she's allowed to do that."

"Not with the kind of dragon she has."

Martha sighed in annoyance. "The fact she has a Night Fury should not stop her from doing what the rest of us does."

Hilda was still there, but she didn't want to intervene in this 'family discussion'.

"Martha, don't you understand?"

"Don't you? Hilda finally gets a dragon and you're telling her not to train her dragon."

"That's not how it is!"

"You don't even help her with training! You can't be like this to her dragon! She's not Toothless!!"

Everything and everyone went silent. The few Vikings in the Hall, Hilda, Hiccup and even Martha. Realising what she had just said, she didn't say anything else and suddenly ran out of the door. The silence remained for a while longer before the loud talk of the Vikings began to resume back to its original volume. 

Hilda stood still, shocked at what had happened. "Hiccup, I..."

"Just make sure you don't leave Berk again." he simply said before sitting back down and looking through his papers, not saying another word.

Hilda was about to say something, but seeing he didn't want to be interrupted, she instead nodded at his request and left the Great Hall. As she made her way down the stairs, she saw Alric at the bottom. He sprung to life when he saw her, walking up to her.

"Hey, what happened? Martha looked upset." he asked.

"Nothing much. Just a father and daughter argument." Hilda said. 

"Ah. Make sense." he nodded. "So ...how much trouble were you in?"

Hilda through about it, realising something. "Honestly, not much. He just told me off and said I shouldn't go outside of Berk again."

"Oh. Well, that's good, I guess." he said surprisingly. 

"I guess, but I had so much fun today, that it kind of sucks I can't go back out again." Hilda said, sitting down on the stairs, to which Alric joined her. 

"He only wants to keep you two safe." he explained.

"And I get that. It's just... you know, I'm a impatient Viking who wants to get out quickly." she joked.

Alric chuckled. "Don't worry. I think he'll let you once you become a Dragon Rider."

"I hope so." Before Alric spoke, they heard the sound of the Deadly Nadder cry. They looked up, seeing the familiar colours of green of the dragon flying towards them. 

"Look who finally returns." Alric joked, getting up and heading all the way down the stairs, along with Hilda. Dash, the green Deadly Nadder, landed in front of them and then, a clearly irritated Linda peaked from behind. She was about to say something to Alric when her eyes caught her sister standing next to him.

"You have caused so much distress in only one day, it puts me to shame." she exclaimed, pointing her finger at her. She then jumped off Dash, giving him a scratch under his jaw.

"I didn't think it would. Sorry." Hilda apologised.

Linda raised her eyebrow at the surprise apology. "Well, since you've apologised, I'll forgive you. But next time, either Alric goes to find you or you're on your own." she declared.

Hilda chuckled. "OK, sis. I'll keep that in mind." 

"Well, I'm going to do some training. I'll see you back at the house." Linda said, stretching her arms before heading towards the training grounds with Dash. 

"I love how all of the responsibility falls into my hands." Alric said sarcastically. When he didn't hear a response, he turned around, noticing Hilda staring into the distance. He tapped her shoulders, causing her to stop dazing.

"Like I said, you'll fly out of Berk soon enough." he assured her.

She smiled. "Thanks, but that's not the problem. It's just... it was strangely unsettling, seeing Hiccup and Martha argue with each other."

"Isn't that normal with a parent and their child? You argue with your father quite a few time."

"Yeah, but that's my dad and I. Honestly, Hiccup and Martha are the last people I would think to end up arguing." she explained. 

He nodded in understanding. "Anyway, I'm going to the training grounds. Linda and I were going to race each other before... you know, all this." he gestured. 

She chuckled. "You really want to win the next race so badly."

He just shrugged his shoulders. "A Viking got to do what a Viking got to do." he declared, before saying goodbye to Hilda and heading to the training ground. 

Hilda headed to her home stable, seeing Starlight sleeping on the ground. She smiled as she kneeled down next to her, giving her a small rub on her head. As she walked out of the stable, her eyes looked out towards the horizon. 

She sighed, devastated that she would not be able to express what she did today for a long time. But it only made her more determined than ever to become a Dragon Rider, once and for all.