Chapter One

Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything. - George Barnard Shaw

——————————————————

        ~I Miss Last Summer~

  It's been a whole year since I've seen my friends in person. We video chat at least once a week but it's not the same. I had just gotten out of school and am now counting down the days until I can go back to Sorrel Hill!
  My mother called me into the living room, as I walked in I saw her sitting on the couch with a serious face. Oh no...
  "Kiley, you won't be able to attend Sorrel Hill this year," she smiled weakly at me. My heart dropped, no! This isn't possible! "Why? Momma please, I finally get to see my friends." She sighed looking at me with a sorry face.
  "Listen Kiley, have you ever heard of QuickSilver?" I shook my head, she tried again, "Don't Blink?" Getting the same response she tried once more, "Cash Out?" I didn't even know what she was talking about.
  "Oh! I know QuickSilver, Ben made me watch all the movies  of the Avengers." She smiled but shook her head, "You don't watch Derby Races do you? Only show jumping?" I nodded my mother chuckling.
  "They are very extraordinary racehorses some people would die to meet them," She rambled. "Your point?" She looked at me with uncertain eyes, "I accepted a request the ranch that owns the horses sent you. They've heard a lot about you and I figured it would be a learning experience."
  I moaned, "Mom you know how long I've been wanting to see my friends?" She sighed thinking through something, she then looked at me once more with a huge smile.
  "The ranch is only a month long, you'll still have half of Sorrel Hill's camp to attend. That way you can do both!" I gave up smiling at her, sure I really would rather go see my friends but at least she tried.
  "Okay Momma it's a deal, now if you excuse me I've got some googling to do," I gave her one last smile then walked off to my room.
  I was going to research these horses and know everything I can about them, why would they be so idolized? I sat down in my blue desk chair opening my laptop.
  I went straight to google searching QuickSilver first. The horse was absolutely breathtaking. He was white with a small tint of gray, giving him a mercury look. He had blue eyes and stunning matching mane, his tail long and his mane short.
  I saw a video pop up that caught my attention, 'QuickSilver's devastating accident' I immediately clicked on it.
  The video began to play and it showed QuickSilver in all his beauty racing against dark bay Thoroughbreds. I noticed how the camera was mainly focused on him, a Thoroughbred being any other color than bay or chestnut or black was almost unheard of.
  The horse's tack was a musky blue, making QuickSilver look even more irresistible. As he rounded the corner coming in the lead, his shoe flew out behind him. The horse came crashing down rolling over his rider.
  The Thoroughbreds scrambled to avoid running over QuickSilver, darting different ways last minute causing some riders to be thrown from the saddle.
  QuickSilver tried to get up but failed. The whole crowd grew silent, the vet and paramedics stayed still. Unable to help until the Thoroughbreds crossed the finish. QuickSilver nickered his head searching the mod of people.
  He lifted himself into an upright position. His eyes looking for something, he nickered once again more urgently. I then saw a person run out to QuickSilver, who instantly recognized them.
  The camera zoomed onto QuickSilver the person reached him and kneeled placing a hand on QuickSilver's nose.
  I then realized that the person was a boy. He took QuickSilver's head in his lap, his hands stroking the horse's neck. The jockey was not of importance to the boy, he only saw QuickSilver at that moment.
  The bond reminded me of Jack and I. When I went bareback last year and fell, he came back to me comforting me.
  The video ended and I groaned. I wanted to see what happened! I then decided to read an article.
  I learned that after the freak accident the horse had broken his leg, but after two years of recovery he was able to stand once more. The article went on to explain it took three years after the recovery to getting the horse back to where he was.
  He is now racing and does so without any shoes, his owner says he runs better without them. QuickSilver is the horse to beat in the racing community. I clicked on a picture of QuickSilver and his owner. The owner was the boy in the video before, his name Jessie Kade.
  I proceeded to search Don't Blink. Don't Blink was a black Thoroughbred with one white sock on his back left leg, going all the way to his hock.
  He had one blue eye along with a white star on his upper lip. He was a stunning stallion, I frowned as I saw the headline of a video.
  Don't Blink's problemed life. Does all of this guy's horses come from a traumatic past? I clicked on it and watched. Don't Blink was involved in a car wreck returning from an auction. The people were killed and the horse escaped, a veterinary clinic found the horse and medicated him.
  Don't Blink turned into a crazy, wild, horse but was transformed to his natural good self. With the help of Jessie Kade, former racehorse trainer and owner. Don't Blink is now the top horse to beat when running the straight.
  I nodded, QuickSilver was the top horse to beat when running around the track, Don't Blink was the top horse to beat on the straights of the track, what was Cash Out then?
  I quickly searched the name, clicking on yet another article. It showed a gorgeous light bay stallion, a strand of white in both his mane and tail. He's known for winning The a Triple Crown races. Whoa! That's only been down twice! I came to find that Cash Out was a wild Thoroughbred left to starve at a local barn.
  I smiled to myself seeing a picture of Cash Out with Jessie Kade. Maybe he just likes to get underdog horses? My phone rang and I quickly answered.
  I saw all my friends connecting, it was sorta like FaceTime but you could chat with up to twenty people at once.
  "Kiley!!! Girl it's been decades you ready for camp?" Hannah asked. "Yo nice to talk to you too Hannah," Luke groaned sharing a facecam with Xavier.
  "Are you two always at each other's house?" Will questioned. "Emily you look infuriated!" Samantha pointed out. Ignoring the fact that nor Luke or Xavier has answered Will's question.
  "Ben won't shut up about the freaking movies coming out!" Ben shot her a defensive look through the phone, "Excuse me but Infinity War ended awfully! They better not kill off Captain America! Plus Captain Marvel is coming out soon along with Spider-Man Far From Home!!!!"
  We all rolled our eyes. "Samantha how's the grinch?" I asked, she giggled moving the phone behind her to reveal a very annoyed Nathan. "Thanks Kiley," he grumbled. I smiled at him, "You're welcome!" Samantha then took back her phone.
  "To answer your question, he's just as bad of a jerk as he was," she laughed as he threw a sock at her. "Nathan you've just earned my respect!" Luke yelled through the phone. Samantha scowled Nathan walked over curious.
  "Shut up Luke," Xavier playfully punched his friend's shoulder. "Ready for camp?" Emily asked. I sighed, I was sadly I won't be able to make it all. "Is that even a question?" Ben snapped. "I'm not," Nathan said looking at Samantha waiting for her to say something.
  "No one cares," Samantha hissed. I laughed at the two of them. "Hey guys, I need to tell y'all something..." they redirected their attention to me sensing how serious my voice was. "My mother signed me of for a ranch called Recovery. It's a month and it'll go over some of the camp's time.
  "So I'll only be able to come to half of Sorrel Hill's camp... I'm sorry," they all showed disappointed faces. "I mean at least you're coming to half of it!" Hannah suggested trying to cheer everyone up.
  Emily cocked an eyebrow, "Wait did you say Recovery Ranch?" I nodded and her cheeks burned red.
  "Kiley that's amazing!!!! Three of the greatest racehorses live there!!! You have to be sure to send me pictures of them! I'm more of a QuickSilver fan so a lot of him!" Now it was everyone else's turn to gasp.
  "QuickSilver? You mean the QuickSilver? The horse that's won almost every race he's attended, the only silver Thoroughbred! That one?" Ben looked to Kiley. She nodded and his jaw dropped. "I'm such a fan of Don't Blink he's a very handsome horse!!! CrastBolt and I aim to be like him, but in the show jumping area not racing," Samantha sighed in awe.
  "Have fun, Cash Out is a show off I've heard. I've also heard he likes to flirt with mares," Xavier informed. I nodded I couldn't wait to see the racing legends in real life, but I also couldn't wait to leave that ranch and return to Sorrel Hill! "Have fun and we'll see you soon!" Will smiled as they we hung up.

______________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Here's the first chapter of the sequel!!!! I have got soooo many ideas for it!! What are some of yours? I need more ideas for where I'm going to take this story!!! What do you think of the characters!! The horses though😍