Chapter Four

Never be afraid to try something new. Because life gets boring when you stay within the limits of what you already know. -  Unknown

——————————————————

~Morning Is Dead To Me~

I cringed as my alarm screamed. I groaned rolling a little too far and fell off the bed. Great way to start my day. I got up and got dressed. Wearing an old long sleeve purple shirt, boot cut jeans, a pair of boots Nicky let me borrow, and my hair up.
Linda gave me these clothes for the mornings chores. What they consisted of, I had no idea. Walking out of the front door I saw Linda smiling at me, "Well good morning, I just have a few chores for you to do then you can go ride, but check in with me first."
I nodded as she handed me a list. Geez I didn't know coming here involved labor work.

-Feed Horses in barn 27
-Muck out stalls in barn 27
-Feed dogs by barn 27
-Work with Magic in barn 27

I nodded to her as she drove off I sighed I really have to do all this? Well at least I can meet some horses. I walked to barn 27 after wandering around for thirty minutes and getting directions from Danny who happened to be cleaning at barn four.
I walked in all the horses nickering. After finding the tack room and locating the feed, I filled a wheel barrel full of the feed. Walking down the aisle filling the feed troughs, I couldn't stop thinking about Magic.
I have to work with this horse I don't even know. Maybe I can watch today to see how this filly is. After I finished feeding and mucking out the stalls, I headed over to the round pen where Magic was pacing. Jessie was already out there, but had just arrived.
I went over to them, looking at the gorgeous Thoroughbred. She was stunning. "Take a picture it'll last longer," Jessie cooed, snapping me from my staring. "Trust me I'll be doing plenty of that." I climbed into the pen, Magic bolting.
I stood over by Jessie in the center. "By the way I've never worked with a horse in a pen." Might at least just tell him. "I thought you've trained a horse before." "I have... well still am. But I trained her in an open paddock, not some small pen," I shrugged. "But you've still trained one?" I nodded. "Okay cool, do you know how to free lung?"
Free lung? Yeah I have no idea what that is! "No, is it lunging though? I've done that." He shook his head, "Sorta but without a lead and halter, sit on the rail and I'll show you. Jump in when you're ready."
Nodding, I climbed on the rail sitting. Jessie has a coiled rope in his hand, he swung it behind the horse as Magic sprinted. He stayed behind her driveline pushing her forward but at a safe distance. "So you just follow her?" He gave me a bored stare before swinging his hand the rope making a loud noise as he hit them on his chaps.
Magic loped kicking out at Jessie. "No," he breathed, "What does she look like she's doing?" Magic loped along the rails, her inner ear turned to Jessie. "Moving?" I guessed. "No really??" Came a very sarcastic voice. "Well what do you want me to say? I've never seen this."
Jessie smacked the rope against his chaps again, Magic picked up the pace. "You're getting her to move?" I took a guess. Jessie walked backwards in a crouched motion. He backed up all the way to the rail then took his eyes off of Magic and towards me.
"What was that?" Curiosity was definitely my weakness. "Just getting her to stop and think about it," he glanced over his shoulder. Magic has indeed stopped, her head was lowered, her nostrils flared, and her eyes on Jessie. She had stopped in the middle, her ears pricked forward.
"How did you find her?" I asked mesmerized by her. He glanced at me, "She was tied to a fence on the side of the road, skinny and weak so I just took her." My eyes widened, "You stole someone's horse?" He gave me a brief glance. I could never steal a horse! How could he just do that?
"That filly of yours looks very overweight," Jessie pointed out as Promise nickered to me from her paddock. "Yeah she's been eating a lot." He went to the center and Magic began trotting around him once more. "When did you get her?" He pressed on. I thought for a moment, "Eight months ago? I'm pretty sure."
He nodded moving Magic to a lope, "I'd get her checked out from a vet, she shouldn't be that wide." I nodded fear running through my veins. Always the pessimistic. He motioned for me to come in, I jumped off the rails and scurried over to him.
He handed me the rope, then sat on the rail. "You're not going to help me?" He smirked, "I'm going to help you, but I also want to laugh." I rolled my eyes, I stood behind Magic's drive line pushing her forward at a safe distance.
Magic tossed her head in protest, her mane flying out. A smile spread across my face as I moved her to a lope. I continued this for at least an hour before stopping to take a break. "How long are we going to do this for? I haven't even had breakfast..." I grabbed my stomach as it grumbled.
Jessie chuckled, "It's only six, breakfast isn't until eight." I mentally sighed. Magic was breathing heavily, sweat coated her body. "I'll tell you what, let's go on a ride."
I spun to face Jessie was was opening the pen. Magic darted out racing to the water trough. "What? But why?" My hand wiped the sweat from my forehead. "Why not? You're tired, I'm tired, Magic is tired. You get one of your horses ready and meet me back here in sixty seconds," he jumped onto the other side of the rails.
"Sixty seconds are you serious?" I gave him a bored look. "Fifty-nine, fifty-eight." I shook my head in amusement as he looked at me with a smug facade. With that I ran back to the house.

*******

I bent over panting like I'd just ran a marathon. I looked up to see Jessie walk over to me with QuickSilver. "Negative three hundred and five." I glared at him, Atlantic Black nudging my shoulder slightly.
We mounted, Jessie taking the lead. "Where are we going?" I yawned. He turned back in the saddle facing me, "Somewhere with horses." My body nagged at me to roll my eyes, but I'm afraid if I rolled them again they'd get stuck there!
He smiled at my annoyed self, "Okay ease up on the glare, you might kill somebody." Atlantic Black snorted, his tail swishing behind me. "Funny," I said all too pippy. He turned back around in his saddle, turning QuickSilver off of the concrete path we'd been on and onto the grass.
Kicking the Thoroughbred ever so slightly QuickSilver began to trot. Atlantic Black didn't miss a beat, following in pursuit. QuickSilver was a very stunning horse. His coat shimmer with sunlight dancing on it, his silvery mane bended with the wind, he was a beautiful boy.
"Amaya is your recused horse right?" "Yeah she's a Quarter," My fingers curled around the leather waxed reins. "I've got a horse I want her to meet. Based on what I've hear about her, I'd bet the two would get along." Jessie said more to himself than me.
QuickSilver stopped at a paddock with a bay stallion grazing in it. "This is Challen he's my rescue," Jessie dismounted. I hopped off of Atlantic Black, tying him up with QuickSilver before following Jessie into the paddock.
Challen walked right up to us, begging for pets. I began to stroke his nose, my other hand roaming down his neck. He was very soft, standing at 14.3 hands. He had a stripe from his upper lip to his mid head, then a marking between his eyes in the shape of a heart.
"We used to call him 'A Bone For A Rib' weird name I know, but my mom came up with it. She has all the weird names. Anyway he came from a kill pen, not quite as skinny as Amaya but not far from it." Came Jessie rubbing Challen's rear.
Challen had very kind eyes, they were captivating, calm, and quiet. I could tell he was too. He touched his lip to my chin, wiggling it. My giggles were merely hums, Jessie's weren't though. He was laughing away, my face scrunched up.
Challen lowered his head holding it against my arm, I looked over to a very amused Jessie. Atlantic Black nickered to me, wanting the attention. QuickSilver was sending death glares Challen's way. "Your horse has some serious attention issues," I told Jessie walking over to Atlantic Black.
"And yours doesn't?" I looked back at him, "Not as bad as yours." "It comes with being famous," Jessie answered like it was the most obvious thing ever. I untied Atlantic Black, mounting him once more. Jessie followed then lead us somewhere else.
We stopped at a hill, vast open plains rested before us. "Wanna race?" Jessie cocked an eyebrow. "Right cause my Quarter team roping horse is going to beat your Thoroughbred race horse... no I do not want to race."
Jessie squeezes his legs together, QuickSilver reacted instantly sprinting forward. I clicked to Atlantic Black who almost immediately fell into step behind QuickSilver. A smile was shown across my face as the wind enveloped me. My cheeks feeling the rush of cool air against them, my eyes threatening to spill tears as we gained speed.
We were running through tall dried grass, blazing by. Atlantic Black breathing became audible as he tried desperately to keep pace with QuickSilver. We settled down to a stop regaining our thoughts.
Something hit me, like I was being drawn toward something. My mind focused on the feeling, eventually seeing an image of Promise in my head. "We need to go, now!" I called before Atlantic Black and QuickSilver galloped back to the ranch area. When we arrived I quickly put Atlantic Black up in the paddock, racing around to find Promise not outside.
I bathed into her stall gasping, "Jessie hurry!!" I shouted as Jessie was in the process of climbing over the fence.

______________________________________________________________________________________

A/N: Uh Oh! Somethings WAY wrong with Promise!!!!?!??😨

Here's what Challen LOOKED like btw: