Chapter Twenty-Two

(Samergia Up there!)

"F.E.A.R. has two meanings-
Forget everything and run
OR
Face everything and rise
The choice is yours,"
Unknown

__________________________________________________________________________________________

           ~Nathan And Will~

      I opened my eyes looking up at the vast blue sky. The scent of pine and grass filled my lungs it was oddly relaxing. I stretched, sat up, and yawned looking at the scenery. Beyond the cliff was a beautiful herd of wild horses grazing in the tall grass. They were quite a distance away, but I could still make out Samergia drinking from a stream. Her muscular build made her stand out amongst the other mares even the stallion's build didn't compare to hers.
The gentle wind wrapped her tail around her hind legs, gently folding back her mane. She was such a sight to behold. "Come on," Came a raspy voice behind me. Great what a rupture to my quiet morning. I sighed getting to my feet. "Did we really stay out here all night?" I asked my back a little sore from the ground. "Mmmhmm," was Nathan's short reply. We walked through the forest in a comfortable silence, my mind still replaying the photogenic scenery from the cliff.
  What seemed like a decade of walking was only about thirty minutes, but not back to the ranch. The forest was just inches behind me. We were standing in a field of golden grass accompanied by Samergia and her magnificent herd. I looked back at Nathan, were we lost? How many times am I going to get lost? That must be my super power or something. "Do you want to call for someone or me?" I questioned pulling out my phone.
  "We're not lost Kiley," Nathan gave me a dumb look as if it was insane to question that we were lost. I cocked an eyebrow, "I thought we were going back to the ranch... isn't it the other way? We got lost last year so I just want to make sure before another cougar pops out." Nathan chuckled, shaking his head. He began walking over to the herd Samergia eyed him closely. "If she kills you, I'm not going to drag you back to the ranch. Are you just saying we're not lost cause you're embarrassed? I totally get it, I'll just say that I got us lost."
  "Would you relax a bit? I know where we're at and she's not going to kill me. Geez you talk way to much," Nathan rolled his eyes a few feet away from the herd. I shrugged waiting for Samergia to charge him or for Nathan to actually admit we were lost. Samergia started walking over to him in a hesitant manner. "Nice knowing you!" I shouted to him. Samergia sniffed his palm stretching her neck as far as possible trying not to come any closer. Nathan's hand traveled to the mare's jaw petting her in a circular motion.
  Samergia relaxed cocking her leg. Okay... not what I expected. He looked back at me, "Get over here, I know you want to pet her." I hung my head, all that worry for nothing. I strolled over a bit cautious. The moment my hand touched her nose a smile made its way to my face. She blew a deep sigh as if she had done this many times. I swiped to the camera on my phone taking dozens of pictures. The mare held her head against my body in complete affection. I looked at Nathan who was fiddling with a piece of grass, "You should get lost more often." He looked at me giving me a know-it-all look.

                                   ******************

  "This is hopeless!" I huffed trying to get Allude and Estrella loaded. "Maybe we're doing it wrong," Will assumed scratching in between Allude's ears. Estrella tossed her head not liking being led. "How did you do it with mustangs?" Will shrugged, "Let them hang out by the trailer until they loaded." Promise nickered to them from inside the trailer. Allude and Estrella responded but made no move to join her. "Would carrying them in work?" I pondered more to myself than Will.
  Linda leaned against the trailer, "What if John builds a ramp?" I thought for a moment, that could work maybe. The foals wouldn't have to jump up in the trailer. "Yes ma'am, we'll try that," I replied. She nodded scurrying off after John. "Where were you this morning?" Will asked peering down at the blue pinto stallion. "Sleeping on a cliff, long story but I'm glad it's over," I hugged Estrella's neck. The sweet filly craned her neck around nibbling at my hair tied in a messy bun.
  "I was walking around this morning and saw Hannah at Athos's stall feeding her some carrots," Will spoke rubbing Allude's back. I smiled just thinking how close Hannah and Athos have come. It was a little buzzar she fell in love with a western horse instead of the many English horses Jessie owned. Then again, western horses aren't so bad after all Promise is one.
  "Her and that mare have bonded close," I gave Estrella a small scratch welcoming back Linda who was with John. He carried a simple ramp made of sanded wood. He gave me a small smile before placing it in position.
  He stepped back, "Have at it." I nodded leading Estrella to the ramp. She eyed it carefully as if it could sprout legs and eat her. I giggled at the weary filly, she then upon hearing Promises' calls leaped over the ramp and into the trailer. I mentally face palmed myself... of course, Estrella of course.
  Nonetheless I hopped in the trailer and tied the filly, Allude followed behind with little to no trouble, only he used the ramp. Will tied him and we both closed up the trailer with the three gems inside. We all loaded into the truck and proceeded to the vet clinic.
  Upon arriving the trio unloaded perfectly. They performed excellent as Dr. Cole put it. The trio was due for their shots, Promise for what felt like her thousand round and the foals for their first. We loaded the horses back up and drove home.
  I unclipped Estrella's halter, then slipped it off her head. She nicked before racing across the paddock to join her high spirited brother. Promise grazed nearby the duo not even bothering to glance up at the charging filly. "Looks like she could use a break," Will shook his head in amusement by Promise's behavior.
  I chuckled turning on my heels, "We all could." We walked in step back to the gate in a comfortable silence. "How about it?" Will asked running a hand through his messy blonde hair. I looked up at him, "How about what?" He opened the gate for us, "That break. How about it? What if we take that break? You, me, Emily, Ben, Jessie, Nathan, Samantha, Luke, Hannah, and Xavier?"
  Did he just ask if all ten of us should go on a break? I have no problem with a break, but all ten... that's a lot of people. Of course it would be nothing short of a blast. Luke and Ben coming up with these ridiculous arguments, Xavier never short to throw Luke under the bus. Samantha and Nathan could try and get back together as friends, Hannah and I could have some much needed girl time. Emily and Will could finally do their contest about who was the better sibling... and I could spend some more time with Jessie... which isn't the reason I want to do this now... okay, it definitely is.
  "Deal," I shook Will's hand before running off the share the epic news!

A/N:

  Favorite food?