Chapter Twelve

A couple of days later, everything seemed normal again. Gabe's injuries were healed properly, Clive and I were good again, Abigail still treated me like she always did and I was allowed to leave the house again!

Going back to the city felt great, the feeling of being able to walk through the busy streets again... was simply liberating. But it was also torture.

Whenever I walked around, I always saw people talking about me, telling things like 'it's that IT from tv' and 'stay away from her, she caused the attack that happened months ago'.

I tried to ignore it, but I just couldn't. Each word felt like a stab in my heart... I didn't even know these people, but that doesn't mean their words had no effect on me.

I still walked around with my head held high, showing them my confidence and strength. It was all an act, but at least they bought it. They don't know the truth about what happened, they weren't even there. They had no right to judge me for what I did, after all, they were the ones who started everything.

As I kept walking, I noticed a man sitting on the ground, begging people to help him. He wore an old, oversized shirt with a lot of holes in it. His jeans was ripped, and not in a fashion-kind of way. He sat on the ground with a child lying next to him, her head resting on his lap.

"Please, help my child! She has a fever! I don't need money, but please maybe some medicine for her..." he said desperately, there was misery and despair in his voice. People just walked away and paid no attention to him, or they rolled their eyes and told him to get a job.

I saw the child curled up on the ground, she had a thin blanket and a jacket on her. I assumed the jacket belonged to her father. She was shivering from the cold and sweat was visible on her forehead. Poor girl, she couldn't be older than seven.

I walked towards the man and kneeled down in front of him. I smiled at him and his eyes lit up with hope the minute I kneeled down.

"What's the matter with her?" I asked softly, trying not to wake her up. My eyes were focused on her small figure, her blond hair covered her face but I could still see the redness of her cheecks.

"She has the flu... I tried to buy her some antibiotics but they threw me out... Please help me" he said as he reached out for my hand, he held it tightly while looking me in my eyes, "I'll do everything, please... just help her".

I sighed when I saw desperation in his eyes, it was truly heartbreaking. The man was shivering because he took off his own jacket to keep his little girl warm.

I moved slightly to the left, so I was closer to the girl. I gently brushed her hair out of her face with my fingers. My touch caused her to wake up and she slowly opened her eyes. With bright, blue eyes, she looked at me in confusion.

I smiled at her and she weakly smiled back. She pulled the blanket higher and covered her mouth and nose with it, I guess she became shy when I kept smiling. I placed my hand on her forehead and closed my eyes for a few seconds. After a while, I opened my eyes as I stood up.

"Where are you going? I thought you were going to help me..." the man said, he was hurt. A tear streamed down his cheek as he looked at the little girl, who fell asleep once again.

"Don't worry, sir. Your daughter will be okay, I promise" I said with a soft smile as I walked away. If I had money, I would have given him some, but unfortunately I don't have any. I heard the man saying something I didn't quite understand, but I knew it wasn't something good.

I kept walking until I arrived at the police station, I decided to give my brother a surprise visit. I opened the door and looked around to see if Liam was here. Instead, I saw the two police officers who brought me here the first day I got caught. One of them noticed me and aimed his gun at me, not long after that, the others copied his actions.