Chapter Twenty Four

The soft sound of dripping water woke me up after a deep sleep, that felt like an eternity. My eyelids were heavy and didn't allow me to open my eyes, no matter how hard I tried.

With closed eyes, I moved my arms to feel my surroundings, I was lying in bed with a blanket over my body.

When I finally found the strength to open my eyes, I tried to take a look around but all I saw were black dots.

Once my eyes adjusted to the brightness, I saw that I wasn't in my room.

I shot up and kicked the blanket away, only to find myself in solitary. The sudden movement made me feel dizzy, it was like the whole world was spinning way faster than usual.

"Ugh... my head." I whispered, burying my face in my hands.

It took me a while before I was able to stand up without losing my balance, everything was a blur. I don't really remember how I got here in the first place.

The last thing I remember is seeing Max in front of me, but after that? Nothing.

I stood up and walked towards the door before I pounded on it with my fist. I wasn't in the mood for games, once I'm out of here, he's dead.

"Hey! Open up, you piece of shit!" I yelled as I pounded harder on the door.

When I didn't receive a response from him, after pounding on the door for five minutes, I started to kick the door as well.

But he wouldn't open up. Hell, I don't even know if he hears me or not.

I sighed of frustration as I walked around in the tiny room. I've heard multiple stories about solitary cells, but mine is nothing like they described it.

Mine looked rather comfortable, with a bed, multiple blankets and pillows. There was a nightstand with a rose on top of it, even a dresser with fancy stuff.

The only thing that was wrong with this room, was the fact that water was slowly dripping from the ceiling. But that was fixed with a pretty vase and flowers.

A small sound caught my attention, it came from the room next to mine. There was a knocking sound coming from the walls and it took me a minute to realize there was another prisoner.

I walked towards the wall and traced my left hand over it, to the center of the knocking sound.

I leaned my ear against the wall in hope I could hear the other prisoner next to me. A soft touch against my knee made me jump back, when I looked down to examine the wall, I saw a brick moving out of its place.

The brick fell on the ground and the sound echoed through the room, it made me quiver a little, since I was still getting triggered by the smallest sounds.

"Hey, you okay?" a voice said through the small opening.

That voice.

The voice that used to make my heart flutter in happiness and made me feel secure, was now a voice I was afraid of.

Thanks to Max, I became skeptical of Clive. How was I supposed to know if it was really him or not?

"Alissa, is that you...?" Clive asked weakly, as if Max took away all of his energy.

What if Max stole his powers?!

Fear rushed through my body at the horrible thought of him dying and losing his Gift. I knelt down in front of the hole, but he wasn't there. The hole was big enough to fit my arm through it, so that's what I did.

"Clive?!" I asked in panic as I moved my arm from side to side, hoping for a response.

Once I felt his shaky hand on mine, I sighed of relief but I couldn't ignore the fear inside of me.