Chapter Twenty Three

I was wandering through the streets with an empty mind, my destination was unclear. The rain had stopped a few minutes ago and now it was the sun's time to shine, literally. It didn't make me take off my hood though.

After last week's fiasco, I'm practically a celebrity in this town. The last thing I want is people to recognize me, just to rat me out eventually.

Where to go now? was the main question. There were so many possibilities, so many places to go just to start over again. A new life, a new chance... but I didn't know if that was the thing I really wanted.

Right now, I'm stuck in the middle. I could stay here with my family and friends, or I could disappear and permanently close this chapter of my life. Or I could just continue with plan A, going back to prison and live my life in complete solitude.

Yup, that's the one.

I slowly walked my way back to the pier, enjoying the little things of this town for a last time, before saying goodbye.

This town was my home for years, but it didn't feel like home anymore... it felt more like a prison.

Funny, right? I'm about to call an actual prison my new home, while my old home feels like prison.

I couldn't stop thinking about Gabe and the others. They were so pissed when they heard I was about to leave, and now I'm here doing the same thing over again. I knew this was the last straw, I would be dead to them after this.

And Clive... he'd be the one who'll have a harder time processing my absence. We have been together since day one and never abandoned each other, he would see this as the ultimate betrayal, so to speak.

Just the thought of them hating me for life, was enough to make me cry. Only them, not my family. I didn't really care about leaving them again, I survived without them once and it won't be a problem to do that again.

Besides, they should be relieved. The liability left.

As I neared the pier, my heart started to beat faster with each step I took. There were a few boats near me, but as far as I can tell, there's no crew so I'm all alone.

Tears started to roll down my cheeks and fell on the ground, one by one. I couldn't take another step forward, it was like I was glued to the ground.

It's just like every step I take, is a person I'm about to lose for the rest of my life. One step away from the people I love and care about.

End of story.

Just imagining their expressions once they figured out I left, made me hysterical. What if they decide to capture me again? I can't try to get away from them, they would keep me locked up after this.

"You're hesitating, aren't you?" someone said behind me.

I spun around and saw Clive on the edge of a boat, he gave me a small smile before he jumped off the boat and stood on the pier, only a few feet away from me.

My heart skipped a beat when I saw him, he was at the hospital? How did he come here so fast?

"Not a step closer." I said angrily when I saw him lift up his foot to walk my way. He lowered his foot when he saw the threatening look I gave him, he held his arms up in surrender and smiled softly.

"I'm not here to hurt you, or to take you back. I knew you would come back here, that's why I came here right after you gave me that glare at the hospital." he said, his arms still in the air. "I know you, better than you think. Once you made up your mind about something, it's impossible to keep you away from it."