Chapter Twenty Two

"I want to go back to Warrington Prison."

Walker looked at me in confusion, until he started to smile, and then his smile turned into a laugh.

"Why are you laughing?" I asked, slightly annoyed. I thought he'd be serious about this but he kept laughing for a few more minutes.

Okay, maybe this was a stupid idea. It looks like Walker thinks I'm joking or something, he doesn't think I'm serious about this.

"Wait, you're serious?" Walker finally said after he finished laughing.

"Wow, that took you a few minutes... of course I'm serious, Walker. Why would I lie?" I said in an angry tone.

"Why the hell do you want to go back? After everything you went through to get out?" Walker said.

"I've been through enough. Believe it or not, I felt safer on that island... I need you to take me back." I practically begged him. "I'm serious, Walker... I don't want to stay here anymore..."

"But why? You're safe now and what abou-" Walker said, but stopped mid-way when he saw me crying.

"I'm not safe, as long as I'm here... I've got a target on my back... I'll get hurt, and so will the people I care about... My family, friends... everyone." I sobbed. I didn't even try to stop crying; for the first time, I showed him how vulnerable and broken I really was.

But he just nodded, without saying anything else. That was enough for me, it meant that he was considering my proposal.

"Did you tell Clive yet? Your parents?" Walker asked softly.

I faced down, I didn't know what else to do at this moment.  I sat there with a lump in my throat as I tried to fight back more tears. I wasn't able to speak anymore, so I just shook my head.

"I'm the first person you told?" Walker asked in surprise. I nodded, still facing down.

"Don't tell the others, I don't want them to know..." I said softly, I barely heard myself so I wonder if he heard me. I guess he did, since he sighed deeply.

Walker buried his face in his hands and didn't say a word for a few minutes. When he revealed his face again, I couldn't get past the fact that he was going to struggle with not telling anyone.

For the first time forever, Walker was speechless. I guess he didn't expect this from me, especially after I agreed on helping him with the 'Max problem'.

I tapped my foot because of the stress, Walker's silence was not a good sign. I really wanted this, to go away. I was literally going to run away from my problems instead of facing them.

But I didn't care.

"Listen..." I said to break the silence. Walker was going to disapprove my idea, but I'm going to do everything to convince him. "If you're not taking me there, I'll go back on my own. I broke out of there once, and I sure as hell will break back in."

Walker's eyes met mine, he gave me a serious glare before he leaned back in his chair and broke eye contact. "You'll lose your mind in there, Alissa. Solitude won't do you good."

"I can't lose my mind in there, Walker. I already lost it when I heard that gunshot." I said as I leaned my arms on the table.

He placed his hands on the table with a sigh, before he stood up. "I need a minute to think."

He walked past me and went outside. I looked through the window and saw that he brushed his hand through his hair as he shook his head.

He wasn't going to help me.