Chapter Twenty

Clive's POV

People were losing it. They were truly happy about the execution and it made me go mad. How could they like things like this? Alissa was about to die and she didn't even do anything to deserve that. They just wanted her dead for nothing.

I took the blame, for everything. I couldn't let her die. She has a family, a whole future ahead of her and she doesn't deserve any of this... but they didn't listen to me. They tackled me and held my firmly against the ground, silencing me with a cloth over my mouth.

I tried to electrocute them, but they wore protection or something. They didn't even flinch.

Her eyes met mine for a second. Her kind, happy and lively gaze was gone... and became lifeless instead.

She closed her eyes, waiting for the bullet.

A loud gunshot echoed through the area.

Everyone became silent.

The shot came from behind. The Chief didn't fire. I tilted my head and saw Alissa's brother, Liam, walking angrily towards the Chief. It didn't take long until Liam held his gun against the Chief's temple.

"Now that I got all of your damn attention. Drop your fucking weapon, you piece of shit." Liam said through gritted teeth.

For a split second, I thought the Chief killed Alissa.

I sighed of relief when the Chief lowered his gun with a smile. He even raised his arms in surrender in a mocking way, but Liam didn't lower his gun. All the soldiers aimed for Liam now, they even let me go in order to keep him in gunsight.

"Alissa, get up. Now." Liam said in a calm yet threatening tone but Alissa didn't move, she kept staring at the ground. The sound of clacking heels caught my attention, Alissa's mother ran towards her and kneeled next to her, holding Alissa tightly in her embrace.

Her father stood next to Liam and he looked at the Chief with a deadly glare.

"You're her family, aren't you? How does it feel to be related to a killer? A disgrace?" the Chief laughed, causing the others to laugh as well.

"Pretty good, how does it feel to have a gun pressed against your fucking head?" Liam said as he pressed the gun harder against his head, the laugh faded away slowly.

"Ask her." the Chief grimaced as he jutted his chin towards her direction. I was about to kill him, I swear. I wanted to get up but these bastards pushed me back to the ground with their feet.

"She hasn't done anything! You don't have the right to do this, what kind of organisation are you?!" Alissa's father yelled. "You're supposed to 'protect' us, not kill one of us."

"She isn't one of us, sir. None of them are. They're pure evil. None of them did something good, did they? They caused us nothing but trouble, and I'm about to end all of that." the Chief said in a serious tone.

"My daughter wouldn't hurt a fly, you imbecile!" Alissa's mother stood up and pushed Liam and her husband aside to confront the Chief. She was on the same height as him and I swear, I saw him backing away for a bit.

There was a fire in her eyes that couldn't be tamed, it reminded me of Alissa. I guess she's got that from her mother. The way she talked to the Chief like that, even made the other soldiers quiver in fear. She was like a bear who'd do anything to protect her cub, and she did.

"She has been good to everyone! Everybody knows that!" she yelled as she indicated someone from the crowd. "Carol, she used to help your son with his math homework! And now you're standing here, supporting the idea of getting her executed?! How would you have felt if your son was in her situation right now, huh?!"