Holding on and Letting Go

Chapter 13, how does Sylvie react to Nathan leaving? 

Chapter 13:

Previously on Chicago Fire

A hero leaves with much sadness

Nathan Delaney is clearing out his things from Firehouse 51, he looks around at all the memories of his time at 51 and with tears in his blue eyes.

"I've recently got called back to the Navy, they need me, Chief." Nathan says talking to Chief Boden.

Four letters are seen in his possession handing them over to the Chief as he said, "I took the liberty of writing several letters to the crews of House 51, including a personal letter to Sylvie Brett."

Nathan personally salutes Chief Boden as he said, "It was an honor to serve under you, Chief." "The honor was all mine."

Afterwards, Nathan drives off along with Charlie Daniels as Charlie says, "Believe we have a score to settle." "Let's settle that score."

The Next Morning

Firehouse 51, Chicago, Illinois

Everyone had arrived at Firehouse 51 for their shift, it was a particularly cloudy and rainy day in Chicago thunderstorms were around, Chief Boden was in his office, he had been wrestling with the fact that Nathan Delaney had resigned from the Chicago Fire Department, it hurt that a good firefighter had left his firehouse, he had always looked out for the men and women under his command. But to see Delaney leave, Boden saw great potential in him, it was saddening for himself to see a good man leave.

He heard his door being knocked on as he looked and saw it was Casey, Severide and Mouch as he said, "Come on in."

Mouch walked in as he said, "Chief, we heard Connie say, we were needed, what happened?" "Close the door."

Severide closed the door as he said, "What's going on, Chief, we're trying to find Nathan Delaney, where is he?" "This doesn't leave this room, you understand me?" "Yes Sir." All three men said.

Boden sighed as he reluctantly said, "Delaney left." "He transferred?" Casey asked. Boden didn't say a word for a while as he said, "He left the Fire Department, Nathan isn't coming back, he got recalled to the Navy but he had to resign from the department, which he filed papers at the beginning of the month."

"Why though?" Severide asked curiously as Boden replied, "He felt like he failed, PTSD, he kept seeing ghosts of the people he had failed in his time here. Sylvie doesn't know, you three only know."

Boden produced three letters as he said, "A letter for Truck 81, Squad 3 and Engine 51. Show these to the teams in your own time, understood, guys?" "Yes Chief." Casey said as he took the Truck 81 letter as he pocketed it for later and took it to his desk as he saw Hermann and said, "Hermann, call Truck 81 in a meeting at lunchtime, out in the kitchen/lounge area." "Okay, why, what's going on?" "I'll tell you at Lunch." "Okay, Lieutenant."

Gabby saw Casey at his desk as she said, "Matt, you okay?" "Promise you don't tell Sylvie this, hear me?" "Loud and clear." "I mean it, Gabby, she can't know a thing." "Matt, I promise to God, I won't tell her." "You better not."

Gabby nods as Matt then says, "Nathan left." Gabby's expression was one of shock and disbelief as she took a seat on the bed in Casey's office as Casey continued, "When?" "Yesterday, saw Chief Boden after shift and handed in his notice saying, he was leaving, effective immediately." "Why is he leaving?" "Guilt, failure and depression, he wasn't in a good mind, but I think it was because he blamed himself."