CHAPTER 16: absence

When Davina and Zach's facetime called ended, she heard the door of the house shut, informing her that her mother was home. Davina rolled out of bed and walked down the stairs, into the dining room where her mother set down a plastic bag of what she thought was food. Mrs Stanton, Kathleen, noticed her daughter and went up to hug her. They embraced for a minute and Davina felt warm and safe during their hug.

             "Hey, mom." Davina greeted in a whisper.

             "Hi, sweetie." Kathleen responded back and kissed her daughter's forehead. As the pulled apart, Davina headed for the plastic bag, eager to see its contents. As she saw the boxes of food and smelling the mouth-watering scent, she turned to her mom with a smile.

             "Chinese takeout?" Davina started taking out the boxes and placing them on the table, preparing the meal for Kathleen and herself to eat.

             "Yes, I know. I didn't have time to cook because it's so late." Kathleen shrugged and took a seat on the table.

             Davina went into the kitchen to collect forks and spoons, then sitting opposite her mother on the table. "You don't have to explain yourself, I already know and it's fine. I don't want you to tire yourself just so I can eat."

             As the two started eating, Kathleen put her utensils back on the plate and smiled at Davina. Davina noticed her mother staring at her and looked up. "So, how was your first day back?"

             Chewing the food she had in her mouth and swallowing, Davina replied, "It was good."

             "Really?" Kathleen questioned and Davina nodded and responded with an 'mmh'. "Did you see Elliana?"

             "Yes I did and mom, I am so happy for myself because she came up to me and I wasn't scared. I didn't let her talk to me badly and I think she could see that change too. I stood up to her when she was trying to threaten me and tease me." Davina smiled, her eyes lighting up as she felt a surge of happiness course through her body. "I didn't let her treat me horribly and I feel really... free."

             Kathleen smiled as she watched her daughter explain her feelings, something that she didn't do when they were in Philadelphia all those years ago. She loved seeing her daughter happy and she knew that her mind could be at rest after knowing that she felt free and felt that she could let go from her past.

             One thing that popped up in her head was first to the boy who Davina spent most of her freshman year with. What about him, Kathleen thought. "What about Jack? Did you see him again?"

             Davina used her fork to move the food on her plate and stared at it for a moment before looking up at her mother, giving her a sad smile and shaking her head. "No. He left the school about two years ago." Davina then sighed and gave her mother a genuine smile, "But, he left to go join a band," Kathleen made a surprised expression, releasing an "oh".

             "and from people that have told me, they're quite popular. Everyone school knows about them and are basically in love them." Davina said, with glee on her face. "I'm really proud of him, mom. He is so talented and I told him that. He deserves to get noticed for how amazing he is."

             Kathleen noticed her daughter face drop and her smile falter. "What's wrong?"

             "I just wish I had been there to go through that with him." Davina replied. "We probably would have gone to celebrate at a frozen yoghurt place, because he knew I didn't like ice cream. We would have talked about all the amazing things he was going to experience and tell me all about making music and doing what he loves. I miss him, mom."

             Kathleen reached over to touch Davina's hand and gave her a sad smile, "I know."

             Davina shook of her emotions of missing someone that was so important in her life and buried it deep down. "But I shouldn't, because he probably hates me. I left without even saying goodbye and didn't even try to reach out to him." Davina ended her sentence and looked down. Then a few minutes later, she put on a big smile and looked up to her mother. "I'm gonna go to sleep. I have school tomorrow. Do you want me to clean your plate?"

             "No it's fine, I'll do it." Kathleen shook her head and Davina kissed her cheek. "Goodnight."

             "Goodnight, mom."

             As Davina entered her room once again, she let her body drop on the bed. Her back rested on the bed as she looked up at the ceiling. Her left hand reached for her right, then touching the piece of jewellery on her middle finger. She fiddled with it for a while, going through the events that had occurred since her return.

             Then she slid the ring off her finger cautiously, it was the only thing she had of him. Her eyes then focused on the letters engraved in the ring.

             J.A