CHAPTER 23: desperation

            He regretted every second of it, but he couldn't seem to stop.

            Her hands wrapped around his neck as his lips met hers. He was aware of what he was doing, but he was too drunk to comprehend the consequences of his actions. All he could think about was the lust and adrenaline he felt as he continued to kiss her. His hands made its way on her thighs and he pulled her up and carried her into an empty dark room.

            He closed the door behind him and threw her on the bed. She grinned as he took off his shirt and kissed her neck. She moaned in his ear, desperate for what was to come. He didn't stop, but his selfishness and twisted thoughts that this was his punishment was what kept Jack going as he laid in that stranger's bed with Elliana.

present day..

            Corbyn stepped out of the jeep and swiftly threw his bag on his shoulder. He heard the roar of another car that sped through the student parking lot. He shook his head in discontentment as how irresponsible they were being. A brunette girl holding large notebooks that seemed so heavy that it looked as though it weighed her down. She wasn't paying attention on the road and Corbyn could see the speeding car was headed towards her direction.

            He panicked and ran up to her. She was too preoccupied at staring on whatever was written in her notebook, unknowing to what danger was inching towards her. Before she took a step, her arm was pulled back. Her books dropped to the floor and she was enveloped into Corbyn's arms. Her brown startled eyes looked up into his striking blue eyes, confused at what had just occurred.

            They stayed like that for a while until the same speeding car that was just about to hit the girl honked. She blinked a few times and caught her breath. She gave the boy a blank look and her eyes darted to the books that laid on the floor. Papers sprawled out and her face looked alarmed. "Fuck." She muttered, trying to pick up the papers.

            Corbyn cocked up a brow, surprised at her unfazed reaction to her near-death experience. He bent down and helped the girl pick up her scattered books. He stared at the papers she was so interested in and saw multiple drawings of models in different styles of clothing.

            "Uhm." The girl stared at him and his eyes darted up to meet her eyes.

            Corbyn grinned and passed her the papers and notebooks he was holding, "You into fashion?"

            The girl gave him a small smile and shrugged, "It's just a hobby of mine."

            "Well your drawings are impressive." He clutched the strap of his bag nervously, "Uh.. What's your name?"

            Her face lit up as she fidgeted with her fingers, "Christina."

            "My name's Corbyn." He stared at her and admired her bare face. Christina could feel an awkwardness arising as they both continued to stare at each other but was saved as a voice called Corbyn.

            Corbyn turned his head to see Jack, his face dull and fatigued. He turned back to Christina, "Unfortunately I have to go." He stepped back and once again flashed her a grin, "I'll see you around, Christina."

            She gave him a little wave and walked off into the direction of the school building. Corbyn walked backwards, continuing to stare at her. He bumped into a hard figure and stumbled on his feet. A bright smile was plastered on his face, but it faded as a whiff of alcohol hit him.

            "Who was that girl?" Jack asked in a raspy voice.

            "Have you been drinking?" Corbyn stared at his tired face. Jack's eye-bags were definite and stood out on his chiseled face. His hand cleared the curls out of his eyes as he tried avoiding Corbyn's gaze. Corbyn could tell from his face he didn't want to respond, but the answer was crystal clear. "You have. What the fuck, Jack? You're suppose to be staying sober."

            Jack clenched his jaw, "I know."

            "We're here because of the mess you made. You need to get your shit together, man." Corbyn's eyes were filled with disappointment, a look Jack hated most. "You really should have showered."

            "I couldn't, Zach was taking hours and wouldn't let me in." He rolled his eyes and spotted Zach across the parking lot. He seemed to be laughing and he stumbled on his feet as he was pushed by someone. He tried to avoid the girl's grasps and ran towards the stairs, and that's when he noticed Davina chasing after him.

            "You guys fought, didn't you." It was more of a statement than an answer and Jack just nodded. "Well, I don't blame him. You did insult his best friend right in front of him." Corbyn hit a soft spot and Jack's face turned cold.

            He didn't want to further discuss the matter and rolled his eyes, "Whatever, I'm going to the gym and hit the showers."

            Corbyn sighed, knowing he had little influence on the workings of Jack's mind.

            As Jack entered the school hallways, he started to realise how little it changed. The previous day was so chaotic with students filling the halls after finding out a famous band was at their school, that he wasn't able to notice his surroundings. Jack felt a sense of nostalgia as a certain sound of laughter echoed in his ear. In the corner of his eye was Davina and Zach sitting on the dirty tiled floor, staring at something seemingly interesting on her phone.

            Jack pretended to be unfazed that day he saw her in the classroom and he put on the same blank face as he walked passed them. He pushed any thoughts that were bursting through and surfacing from deep within his mind, only focusing on heading towards the boys' locker room in the school gym.

            However, as Jack turned the corner, he crashed onto a petite figure and stumbled backwards. He was about to curse at whoever had halted his urgency to shower, but he let out a sigh and started walking backwards slowly.

            "Jack!" Elliana's smiled from ear to ear and opened her arms to embrace him, but he was too far away and she ended up stumbling on her feet. Her smile faltered and her brows creased together in confusion. "I can't believe you're back."

            "Yeah." Jack responded dryly, not wanting to continue to the conversation.

            "I wanted to talk to you yesterday..." Jack's eyes were drawn to anything but Elliana's face. His eyes wandered on the students standing at their lockers and on the ground. "Jack, you said you were gonna call. But you ghosted me after leaving for LA!"

            Jack's head snapped up, "Whatever happened before I went to LA was nothing, okay. You need to move on." He tried walking passed her, but she held up her arm and stopped him.

            "What are you trying to say."

            "We're over. We've been over." His patience had run thin and he bumped his shoulders on hers as he sped away.