CHAPTER 20: the letter pt 2

The rest of a day, Davina was out of it

            The only thoughts lingering in her brain were the questions of "what if's". It was all centred around the letter. That single piece of paper that she poured her heart out to and didn't know if she could ever open it again.

            Davina felt as though she was carrying a weight in her backpack, it dragging her down and pinning her to the floor. That letter was a thing of her past, was it best to get rid of it?

            She continued to walk down the hallway, turning the corner to exit from the entrance of the school. Davina's clouded thoughts blocked out the loud yells and talk of all the students, all hyper after the day has ended.

            Reaching the main doors, she stopped in her tracks, her eyes trailing over to the unfamiliar curly head boy leaning against a new-looking Tesla. He had his arms crossed as he watched his friends walk over toward him.

            Just by looking at him, it sparked many memories in Davina's brain. Although she couldn't help but feel anger boiling up inside her. She was mad, but worst of all, she felt sad.

            Davina wondered what could happen if she had the guts to just walk over to him and give the boy the letter. The letter he was suppose to receive. But what if he didn't care? He had clearly stated his thoughts on how he feels about her. What happened, happened, and maybe, it could never be resolved.

            Just as she was about to take a step, her arm was pulled back and her body spun around to face the boy in front of her. He had a sad face and the emotion of disappointment visible in his eyes.

            "Where did you go? I couldn't find you after what happened in the cafeteria." Zach spoke with great concern. He desperately wanted to run after his best friend after the situation, but was trapped with the crowd of girls questioning him on what the commotion was about.

            Davina was shocked when she saw Zach's face and wanted to discover the reason for his presence at Richmond High, but everything went too quickly and she didn't have enough time to hear him out.

            She stared at his face for a while, taking in his features and noticing his sad eyes. Davina didn't like the look on his face. She wanted him to smile like he always would. She missed his smile and overall, she missed him. Without saying a word, she engulfed him into a hug, the first they had shared in months.

            Zach's tense shoulders calmed as he hugged Davina. It was pretty clear she missed him, but he missed her even more. They hugged for a while and when they parted, Davina gave him a small smile.

            "Let's walk to my house. Mom will freak when she finds out you're here." Davina tugged Zach's arm and started walking to the gates.

            She noticed they were about to pass Jack and the other boys standing around the car. She tried her best to not look in their direction, but failed as Zach's name was called. Her head turned to the voice of the blond haired boy who had piercing blue eyes.

           "Zach! Where are you going, bro?" The boy called and Zach came closer to the group, dragging Davina along with him.

            "Hey, Corbyn." Zach greeted, "I'm gonna go to Davina's house to see Mrs. Blossom, her Mom."

            "Oh okay, so you won't go back to Jack's place?" Corbyn questioned. At the mention of his name, Davina's eyes wandered on Jack, whose attention was focused on his phone. He seemed so careless, it was so unfamiliar to her eyes.

            "Yeah. I'll text you though, if you can pick me up." Zach then looked over to Davina and noticed her eyes staring at Jack. "Uh, Davina?"

            Her head snapped towards him and she gave a smile, then turned her head to the blond boy, whose name she didn't hear, "Yeah... Uh— I'll make sure he gets home safe."

            Not wanting to spend another second near the group, Davina pulled Zach's arm and continued their way to her house.