Chapter Twenty-four

Dedicated to zhanebabi

Six months later...

"Can you please give the phone to my husband. I need to talk to him," I begged his personal assistant when she told me he is in a meeting.

" Madam please he will get annoyed if I interrupt the meeting. You can leave a message and I will deliver it to him when he comes out," she suggested.

" Just tell him I called," I informed before cutting the line, feeling depressed.

I knew he being in charge of his father's business now was a huge responsibility but I felt rejected and lonely.He always came home tired and sometimes doesn't show up at all. He being busy was understandable but living in the house alone with his mum was seriously taking a toll on my emotional health.

He had noticed my moody appearance and promised to spend time with me today. But the time we arranged for the shopping was almost up and he hasn't called or said anything. I heard my phone ringing interrupting my thoughts. I stretched my hand to take it quickly when I noticed it was him.

" Heya Bae," I greeted, my voice laced with excitement.

" Hun," he stated dryly.

" Is everything alright," I asked in concern at his tone.

" Yeah everything is fine just that I have a series of meetings today, so I can't make it. I'm so sorry," he answered and I suddenly felt a pang of pain in my chest.

" I understand," I stated after a moment of silence and several hellos from his side.

" I will make it up to you okay. Don't worry. I just told mum to go with you," he supplemented which made me frown instantly. If he can't come why the hell should he suggest the devil as my company.

" Baby you shouldn't have bothered your mum. I can go alone," I said in a fake sweet voice, my inner voice screaming in anger and frustration.

" Naa because of your condition is not advisable to go out all alone," he said in a protective voice.

" I know but is not that urgent. I can actually postpone it to when you are free," I tried convincing him.

" Baby that's a great idea but I can't tell when I will be free. So just go with mum for now," he said with finality.

" Okay," I weakly replied, taking a deep breath to compose myself.

" Good girl. I got another meeting in ten seconds. Will see you soon," he uttered ending the call without giving me time to reply.

Am I not even worth thirty minutes of his time? This pregnancy was making me needy and I hated it. I blinked away the tears that was threatening to fall when there was a knock at the door.

" Leticia come in," I ushered the house help in when I recognised her voice.

"Mrs Kingston says be ready in ten minutes," she relayed the information.

" Okay, thanks Leticia," I replied and she smiled in return.

****
I entered the mall right behind my mother in law. We hadn't spoken a word since we sat in the car and I was more than relieve she was ignoring me.

We walked right off to the children's section and we began checking out stuff separately. I smiled when I saw a cute pink baby beanie with teddy bear designs. It will look great on my baby. I reached out to take it from the shelf when my mother in law disapproving voice stopped my hand midair.

" Don't even think of putting that cheap looking thing on my grandchild," she stated her lips set in a tight line.

" Is pretty," I retorted.

" For your class and type it will be okay but my grandchild is a Kingston and must be treated as such," she replied with a huff.

"She is my child too and I like it so am taking it," I shot back before taking it off the shelf and putting it in my basket.

" No matter how much you clean the pig, it will always wallow in dirt," she muttered before striding off, whilst I bite my lips to hold in a reply.

I continued to pick baby clothes, pushing her demeaning words out of my head, before heading out to the adult section to get some new clothes for myself since most of my dress couldn't fit.

I wheeled my things to the counter to make payment when I was done. Not sighting my mother in-law anywhere. I will wait for her in the car.

It reached my turn to make the payment but surprisingly I couldn't find my purse or my credit card in my bag. But I remember putting them in my bag before heading out. I emptied the content of my bag on the counter but still couldn't find it.

" Could you please look after these whilst I go to my car to fetch my card," I told the cashier and he nodded in understanding.

I arrived at the parking lot and the car wasn't parked at where we left it neither was the driver in sight. What the hell was happening!

I placed a call to the driver and he immediately picked it up.

" Where are you?" I questioned the moment he picked the call.

" Ma we are heading home," he answered.

" The ' we ' consist of you and who?" I questioned in confusion.

" I'm with Mrs Kingston," he replied his voice filled with pity.

" Turn the car around and come and pick me up. I don't have any money on me," I told him, agitation starting to set in.

" I can't Ma, unless I drop her off," he solemnly replied.

" Jesus Christ! Just give her the phone," I instructed.

"Mum please I don't have any money on me to pay for the shopping. Can you come help me," I pleaded the moment he handed the phone to her.

" No matter how hard you try, you will never fit the status of a ' Mrs Kingston," she stated in a disgusted tone before cutting line.

That was it. I finally snapped. I couldn't take this shit any longer am done. Her son needed to find out exactly the kind of person his mother was.

I called his cell phone and he answered after the second ring.

"Damien come and get me now!" I exclaimed the moment he picked the call.

" Baby what's wrong?" He questioned worriedly.

" Is your mum. She left me at the mall and I don't even have money on me to pay for the things I bought," I curtly replied.

" I don't understand," he said in confusion.

" Just come and get me will explain things to you," I voiced in annoyance.

" Baby you know I can't. I have another meeting," he calmly stated.

" I'm getting tired of your numerous meetings. I sincerely need you right now and all I hear is meeting this, business that . I don't have any means of transportation and you don't even care. I'm stranded and you don't give a damn," I screamed, seriously upset about the whole issue.

" Angie am sending my driver to come and get you," he offered.

" Is either you or nobody else. You know what don't bother I will find my way home," I screamed,attracting the attention of passer-bys.

" Angie listen to...," I felt a sharp pain at my abdomen and I groaned.

" Baby are you okay?" Damien asked in urgency.

" I think am undergoing forced labour," I answered gaping for breath as I felt another sharp pain, this time stronger and intense. My pelvic feeling heavy.

The phone fell down as I doubled over in pain. Water running down my thighs as I scream for help. Two passer-by's rushed to my side and called an ambulance. One bending down to pick my cracked phone off the ground.

A/N
Thanks for reading. Pls vote and comment.