Chapter Twenty-three

I kept tossing and wandering about all day waiting for Damien to show up  but he was nowhere in sight.  I had called him several times but they all went straight to voice mail.

"Baby I'm sorry for not trusting you, wherever you are please come back," I voicemailed him, panic  beginning to set in at each passing minute when he didn't call back.

" Hey have you seen my husband around?" I asked the receptionist, my voice shaking slightly when I got downstairs.

" I saw him about five hours ago. He called an uber and drove off but I haven't seen him since. He looked like he was in a hurry.

" Thank you," I said making my way back upstairs to look out the window hoping to catch a glimpse of him coming. His line still going to voice mail.

I heard a knock at my door and quickly rushed over to open it, only to see Damien's family driver looking all worried.

" Is everything all right with you?" he asked the moment he saw me.

" I can't get through to Damien," I told him, standing aside to usher him in.

" He is the reason am here," he replied  wiping sweat off his face.

" Did something happen to my husband?" I asked anxious knots forming in my tummy.

" Naa, he is fine but his dad was involved in a critical accident and he is currently at the hospital. So Mr kingston says I should bring you back home," he informed and I suddenly felt dizzy. How could everything go wrong in just one day.

" Madam we need to go now," he said tapping me on the shoulder to bring me out of my thoughts.

" Help me with Damien's luggage," I instructed as we began to pack the things before heading home.

****
"I thought we were heading to the hospital," I questioned the moment the driver took the usual route home.

"Yeah Mr Kingston instructed me to take you directly to the house," The driver replied.

" Naa take me to the hospital, I need to be with them," I instructed.

" Madam I can't do that," he interjected.

" Just turn the car around this very minute!" I commanded starting to loe my cool.

" Madam please I can lose my job if I do," he answered in a pleading tone.

" You either turn the car around or you stop it for me to get down. And you will get to know what happens afterwards," I retorted beyond furious now.

He hesistagily turned the car around occasionally looking through the rearview mirror to look at me whilst I tried to calm my nerves.

***
"Good evening ," I greeted the moment I entered the private ward area of the hospital. My mother in-law was sitting in an arm chair with her head bowed wiping tears off her face whilst Damien was leaning against the wall, the top two buttons  of his shirt undone, a distant look on his face.

"Hey," I greeted going to stand infront of him, feeling a little awkward.

" I thought I instructed the driver to take you home to relax," he deadpan.

" He wanted to take me home but I decided to be here with you guys," I explained.

"Why can't you obey simple instructions? It's not safe for a pregnant lady to...," he couldn't finish his sentence before the doctor came out of the ward announcing that his father was out of danger zone and that we could see him.

We all rushed in and my mother in-law quickly went to his bedside taking his hand in hers whilst I stood against the wall taking everything in.

" Everything is going to be alright" I comforted when she burst into tears, gently patting her back.