Chapter Twenty-One

Two weeks later...

Today is my wedding day and I was seated in front of the mirror the makeup artist making my face up.

" Girl you look so beautiful," Irene gush out in admiration after the guy was done applying the makeup and I smiled in appreciation feeling a little jittery.

" So you will soon be Mrs Kingston, am jealous," Irene added.

" Don't be silly," I chastised with a shaky laugh. " will be your turn soon," I encouraged and she gave me a weak smile.

" Can you all excuse us. Need to speak with Angie," Damien's mum commanded the moment she entered the room and they all turned to look at me in worry, based on her irritated tone before getting out.

" Why do you want to marry my son," She asked in a sinister voice right after everyone left.

" Ma....," I paused taken aback by the question.

" Don't tell me you are marrying him because you claim to be carrying his child," she said with disdain air quoting the child.

" Is your husband that suggested it," I made a desperate attempt to redeem myself.

" I know. That is why I have a proposal for you," She said with certainty .

" What is it Ma," I asked wearily.

" I need you take this money in the envelope and leave my son life permanently. I will let my driver take you anywhere you want," She declared stretching her hand to hand me a heavy brown envelope.

I immediately felt repulsed with her suggestion. How can she think so low of me.

" Ma I am not with your son because of money. As much as am not in love with him yet, I like him and I see ourselves going somewhere.Besides we are about to have a family and no amount of money can replace that," I told her in a restricted manner, trying my best to keep my voice calm.

" Young lady I doubt you want to get to my bad side," she stated warningly before striding out of the room with one final glare.

This was far from the wedding day I envisage in my childhood. I knew this lady didn't like my family but never thought she could do this. I looked into the mirror and faked a smile, when I heard the others coming in. They didn't have to know my business .

" Is everything alright?" Irene asked the moment she entered the room.

" I'm fine just experiencing cold feet ,"I lied, .

" If you say so," she replied with a shrug.

*****
I stepped out of the room to see my brother standing by the door.

" Hi where is dad and my mum?" I questioned looking around to see if he was anywhere near.

" They  are not coming," he said softly, pity in his eyes and I nodded getting a bit teary eyed. I know I disappointed them but they not turning up was too much to handle.

" Hey don't you dare cry. You have a big man in support of you and I am here to walk you down the aisle," he encouraged lifting my head up to meet his eye." You look beautiful and I am proud of you," he added meaningfully and I automatically smiled brightly.

" Lets get going," he said giving me his hand to take and I eagerly took it.

We were having a garden wedding at one of Damien's father hotels and few people were invited. Most of the faces were unknown to me as I walk down the aisle with my brother. Damien stood infront of the guests wearing a cream tuxedo and he looked incredibly handsome .