22

-Luke-

I tried to pretend that things were ok, but they just weren't. Guilt consumed me as I woke and fell asleep next to a broken soul.

I sat out in the garden holding a beautiful rose in my hand. It had rich velvety white petals, but the edges were blackening from the cold. I leaned forward to smell its sweet perfume. It reminded me of Kennedy. When I held her in my arms I always breathed in the comforting scent of rose water. She too was a beautiful flower, pure and good, tainted by an uncontrollable force.

Some days were good and others were far from it. As much as I wanted to pick up her broken pieces, I couldn't take back what had happened to her. I felt so guilty for not being able to protect her, for getting her into this mess. I wanted to hold her tightly in my strong arms and shelter her from the evil shadows that haunt this world.

I rose, feeling the soft grass against my bare feet, and made my way back inside. I found Kennedy sitting on the kitchen counter. She wore no makeup and I could see the constellations of freckles that kissed her cheeks. I loved that about her.

"How're you feeling?" I asked, knowing that one could grow sick of hearing that question.

"That's a loaded question." She replied giving me half a smile.

We stared at each other for a few seconds before both bursting out in laughter. I joined her on top of the counter.

"How did we end up here?" I sighed bewildered by the crazy path life had led us in.

"I don't know." She shook her head.

"I'm sorry." I confessed looking down at my lap.

"Why?" She questioned searching my hidden face for answers.

"I'm sorry for what happened to you and I'm sorry I wasn't there for you." I blurted out gazing at her with watery eyes.

Her face softened. Since it had happened her eyes had lost the gleam they once held. She moved her fingers to lace in mine. "No." She said quietly.

"What?" I asked confused by her response.

"I don't accept your apology," She explained slipping off of the counter, still holding my hand as she stood. "I don't accept your apology because you have nothing to be sorry for. Bad things happen sometimes and there's nothing we can do about them. I'm not saying I'm not hurt about it, but I don't want you to be. This is not your fault, Luke, and if you don't want to believe it for yourself, believe it for me."

I nodded slowly. She was right. "What can I do to make it better?" I asked at her disposition.

"Dance with me." She replied simply.

"What?" I said confused at the request.

"Remember that night that we slow danced in the kitchen?" She asked. I nodded in response. "You asked me to dance and it was magical. I want to feel that again. I just want to feel normal again."

She pulled me to my feet and in close to her, "Dance with me, Hemmings."

I pressed a soft kiss to her forehead. "Your wish is my command." I said before twirling her and pulling her close. There was no music but we didn't need music. I put one hand on the small of her back and took hers in the other, my large hand swallowing up her small one gently. We waltzed around the kitchen. It was a slow three at first and then I began leading her around the island. A smile crept onto the face that had been so sad lately and she lit up as we glided through our house, spinning like something out of a fairytale. She was my princess and I was honored to have this dance.

I moved both my hands to her waist and as I lifted her in the air, for a moment in time I saw the life return to her eyes as they shined with the starlike quality they used to.