Why?

Song: Without you by David Guetta ft. Usher

Kodiak:

I watch her as she leaves, God I wish we were older and then we could be on our own. I dread going inside the house because I know they will go on and on about us, about me leaving the way I did.

"Kodiak...come on inside we need to talk," my mom says as she backs away from the door and goes back inside. I roll my eyes in frustration.

Everyone is already in bed so it's just my mom and dad in the living room. I lean up against the wall.

"Have a seat...let's talk," my dad says firmly as he motions for me to sit down.

"Dad...really we don't have anything to talk about...nothing happened."

"If nothing happened...why did your mom find you guys practically naked and why did you take off like that?"

"Because she was upset and I didn't want her driving home," I say bluntly.

"This girl..."

"Ophelia!" I say her name for them like they don't already know; she is not just a girl.

"Ok...sorry...Ophelia. You are really in love with her," says my mom.

"Yes...how many times do I have to say it. Look I know what you are going to say already that we are too young that we don't know what love is but I do and I do love her."

"Are you at least using protection?" she asks.

"If we were doing something then yes I would but we are not doing that and really even if I was that's between us."

My mom turns and glares at me like she can't believe I just said that to them. "Young man...first of all this is our house so it does concern us. We just want..."

My dad interrupts her, "We are just looking out for you. We can't tell you what to do but at least we can try to guide you in the right direction...look if you mess up your career it is out the door. Is that what you want?"

"My career has nothing to do with this, how many times do I have to tell you two that nothing is going to happen..it's not like that and you just don't get it."

"Well we do get it; we were young once too you know."

"I know but I am not you and I will not make the mistake that you did." I think that hit a hard spot both of them stop and look at each other. They had me when they were both super young. My dad had a full ride to a major college and since he got my mom pregnant with me, he never went. Instead he took a full time job and went to the community college. I don't know why parents have to bring up their mistakes it's not like I am going to mess up like they did and even if I did it doesn't concern them.

"Fine...look since you happen to know everything just don't do it again in this house."

"Fine...we will just find a hotel or her car or her place or wherever. That's not going to stop us from being together."

"Kodiak...this is not like you." My mom wipes her tear stained cheeks.

"I'm just saying if it's going to happen it's going to happen regardless where we are."

My mom is about to say something but my dad pulls her to the side and they start whispering. He stops and looks at me. "Look we know what you mean we were young once too, just lock your door. We are not giving you permission but your brother and sisters do not need to be seeing this type of behavior."

"Are we done here?" I groan.

"Sure...go on to bed."

It's been a good thirty minutes and she has not replied back; she was supposed to text or call me to let me know that she got home alright but nothing. I text her a few times but nothing. I try staying up as late as possible but end up dosing off. Before I know it the sun is coming through my window. I look at the phone and nothing. I text her again and then go take a quick shower. Nothing.

I call her and keep getting a voice mail. What the hell. I get dressed and go downstairs to grab a quick bite. My mom must notice that something is wrong because she gives me that motherly look.

"What's wrong?" she asks.

"Nothing...well actually she hasn't replied back to any of my text...I tried calling her and nothing...I just don't get it we were fine last night or I thought we were fine."

"Maybe she is sleeping or busy doing something."

"Maybe but she was supposed to text me when she got home last night and nothing."

I grab my keys off of the counter. "I will be back later alright."

"Going over to her house to check on her?" She gives a half-hearted smile.

"Yeah...something must be wrong."

When I get to her house her car is not there. Her mom's car is also gone but her dad's truck is there. I get off my bike and knock on the door anyway maybe he is home. I knock and wait and wait...nothing. I go over to Max's house because the band wants to practice today. Everything is off and I play horrible. The guys notice right off that I am not myself today.

"Dude...she will call you when she can. Come on she is just a girl for crying out loud."

"She is not just a girl...man I love her."

"Yeah....well she must not care too much about you or should would have called you by now."

That comment actually pisses me off. I want to hit him or something but I don't. I pick my guitar back up and start playing again. After practice I go back by her house and still no one is home and her car is still gone. I am about to leave when her mom's car pulls into the drive and her dad gets out.

"Kodiak...what are you doing here?" he says when he sees me.

"Looking for Ophelia...she's not answering her phone." I see the look in his eyes and I know something is wrong. "Where is she...is she alright?"

He walks over closer to me and puts his hand on my shoulder. "She was in a really bad wreck last night," he says as all the color drains from my face. "They say she will be fine...the drunk driver apparently didn't see her. Look I'm just here to grab a few things and then headed back up to Vanderbilt. You want a ride?"

"Vanderbilt...that's like an hour away right...shit...I...I..." I jump on my bike and speed off. She was in a bad wreck. Vanderbilt. She must have been life flighted. Visions of her flash through my mind. I don't know how I made it to Nashville in the amount of time that I did. I don't know how I made it without wrecking going in and out of traffic with only her on my mind. When I get there I pull into the parking garage and have to ask several people where the hell she was until finally someone gave me the right room number. I don't bother knocking on the door.

Her mom jerks up and sees me looking back at her. I glance over at the bed and there she is. Her head is bandaged up. And it looks like her left arm and leg is also bandaged up maybe even in a cast. There are a few machines going and I can't help notice the swelling in her face. I don't realize I'm crying until her mom comes over and she is talking to me but I can't comprehend anything she is saying. Her arms come around me to hug me.

"She is going to be alright; she is sleeping right now."

"I just don't get it...she left my house she was calm...she was fine...she was fine...I...I...made sure she was alright before she left."

"It wasn't her fault; the guy side swiped her car. She's strong though, she will heal in no time you will see."

I walk over and touch her hand but she doesn't wake up.

"Hey, since you are here I am going to run down to the visitor room and get some coffee alright."

I nod my head. When the door shuts I sit down beside her. I think of all the times we were together...all the times I got her to smile. I hold her hand and I don't know what comes over me but I am begging her to wake up and I'm crying like I have never cried in my life. "Ophelia, I just need to see your beautiful eyes. I just need to hear you say my name. I need you baby, just wake up for me. I won't leave you until you wake up. I'm here baby. I'm right here." I lean down to kiss her hand and then I feel her move. I look up and she looks like she is waking up. "Ophelia! Baby, I'm right here, come on baby look at me...see me."

She looks at me and then she starts to smile at me. But her head must be hurting because she lets go of my hand to reach her head. I stand up to lean over her and kiss her sweet lips...then her forehead. "Baby you are going to be alright."