Tying The Knot

Wow, ok, thank god tomorrow is Friday haha. Had to get that out. Anyway, I think you're all going to like these next few chapters... so without further ado, have fun, comment and vote!
-ab

———————————————

December 23, 2025

Patrick

I can't believe that this day is finally here. I rub my eyes and look around the room as I wake myself up, trying to take in the reality of the situation.

It's happening today. I'm actually getting married today.

I didn't expect to be quite as terrified as the butterflies in my stomach are suggesting that I am. I find so many questions running through my mind, though.

What if she backs out? What if we realize that we can't do this? Are we too young? What if we are really just stupid, naïve children who have no idea what we are about to get ourselves into? What if we regret, sometime down the road, not having a big, formal ceremony? Are any of our friends going to be offended that we chose to have Taylor and Joe there as our witnesses?

What if, someday, whether it be five months or twenty years from now, we lose each other? If we have a row that throws us over the top and we have to get a divorce, or even worse... if one of us dies...

It's a ridiculous thing to think of, but my thoughts seem to be gravitating towards the worst right now. I don't know why.

Your wedding day is supposed to be the best day of your life. Nobody ever told me that it was so scary.

Is this normal? What if these thoughts... they mean that this isn't the right thing to do?

I shake that thought right away. I know that this is the right choice for Harper and I.

What's going to be the difference once we are married? We already live together and love each other, so much. The title is going to be the only real difference, right?

What if you're wrong, Patrick? What if it's so different than what you're doing now, and you're not prepared for the new lifestyle?

I suppose that I'll just have to find out in a few hours.

I try to push my worries aside as I drag myself into the kitchen and start to prepare some breakfast, but they won't seem to leave me.

"How are you feeling?" Joe asks, coming into the room once he's awake. "I can't believe that my little brother is getting married today."

"Is it normal to be so nervous?" I admit. "Like, I'm thrilled to be tying the knot with Harper finally, but... it's just... there are so many things that could happen. I'm honestly terrified, and nobody told me that would happen."

"It's not something that anyone likes to talk about," Joe admits, "but it's perfectly normal. I was very anxious before marrying Taylor."

"Really? But you two are so perfect for each other."

"And you and Harper are just as perfect. I promise, you don't need to worry about anything, but the fact that you are worried shows that you're human. Harper's probably so scared right now too."

I frown at the thought of her being worried. I know that she's very prone to that sort of thing, but I also try to tell myself that Taylor, Nessa, and Katherine are there, taking good care of her.

"She missed you last night," Joe continues, "you know that? Taylor texted me and said that she couldn't stop talking about you, and her face would light up every time."

I smile and blush. It's nice to know that Harper wants this as much as I do, not that I didn't already know that. It's just reassuring.

"No backing out of this wedding, okay? I know that it's a scary concept, but it's something that you absolutely need to do. You need this to be happy, Pat. I know that for a fact."

I realize that Joe's words are true. I don't think that I can wait very much longer without being able to finally call Harper my wife. I don't know how people who have traditional wedding ceremonies do it. They have to wait years, sometimes, before they're able to finally have their big day.

I could barely wait these few months. Harper has been the same way.

When the time comes, I get changed out of my pyjamas and prepare to catch an Uber to the registry office. My fears are starting to go away, as they're being replaced with sheer excitement.

It won't be long until I'll finally get to call Harper my wife, officially.

When Joe and I show up at the registry office, Harper's parents are already there, but my parents, Taylor, and Harper are not. I give an awkward little smile to Harper's parents.

I don't quite know how to make conversation with them. Don't get me wrong, they're perfectly nice people. I just don't see them all that much, as they live outside of London, and I've never before been in a situation where I'm with them but not Harper.

Thankfully, they take care of initiating the conversation. "Hi Patrick," Harper's mom smiles. "Congratulations."

"Thanks," I reply awkwardly.

"Now, where's my daughter?"

I laugh. "I put Taylor in charge of her. She should be here soon."

"Wonderful. You take good care of her, now, alright?"

"I promise," I assure her parents.

Just then, I hear the door opening behind me. I turn my head and a smile grows on my face as I see who is there.

"Harper, love!" I exclaim, running towards her with my arms open and pulling her into a hug. "We are doing it. We are finally getting married," I whisper to her as I hold her head close to my chest.

Taylor walks right up to Joe and slips her hand into his.

As soon as my parents show up, not two minutes later, we are all ready to get vows exchanged and papers signed.

"Well," I ask, as the clock on my  phone turns to 11:00, the time that we are scheduled to meet with Sylvia in her office and get everything going, "are we ready?"

"Hi everyone," Sylvia smiles at us as the entire group crams into her office. "We are actually going to go down the hall to the larger room to perform the ceremony. I hope that you two are ready."

Harper and I exchange glances and smiles, before she speaks up. "We couldn't be more ready."