Chapter 28

~Eliza POV~

Alex had pulled Eliza aside before Science. Normally she would've been happy to talk to him in private, but those times were over.

"Eliza, please," he started, but she pushed him away and stormed down the hall.

He was faster then her though, and he got in front of her. She kept her head down and pretended to not notice him. She walked into Science behind Alex, when Angelica punched him in the gut.

Eliza threw herself between Alex and her sister.

"Just don't." she said sternly.

As she sat, she didn't know why she had done that. Alex and she were through. She couldn't date someone who cheated on her.

She still loved him, though she hated herself for it. She couldn't cut their emotional bond completely.

After Science, at lunch, Maria sat down next to her. Eliza ignored her and started to scoot further down the table, away from Maria.

Maria stopped her. "Can we talk?" she asked.

"No," Eliza said flatly, poking her food with her fork.

Maria spoke anyway. "Thomas dared me to kiss him." she said.

Eliza shrugged. "I honestly don't care if it's a dare, he kissed you back without reason, and that's what matters."

"I know," Maria said. "I don't know why he did either. Just know that Alex and I have no romance."

"He might like you though," Eliza said miserably.

"You still love him though, don't you?" Maria said.

"Maybe I do," Eliza said.

She shook her head. "No, I can't. I don't love him." There she went. Lying again, like she did before Alex told her he liked her.

"I can tell he regrets it." Maria said. She only sounded half sure.

"After you left, he almost went after you. He doesn't like me."

Eliza shrugged. "Oh, well. I still don't want to talk about it."

"Just know that I'm sorry. I shouldn't have taken the dare." Maria said.

"You're forgiven." Eliza said.

"Am I still one of your extended sisters?" Maria asked.

Eliza smiled. "Of course."