Chapter 5

VICTOR

We had been swimming for quite some time now. The sun was high in the sky. Yurio was getting more agitated with each passing second.

"Why don't we stop to eat?" I suggested.

Beside me Yuri paled considerably. His face drained of all color.

"What's wrong?" I asked worried. He looked a little green around the gills.

"Do you eat people?" He swallowed hard at the very thought.

Yurio snorted as I bit back a giggle.

"Siren's don't eat people. We drain them of their blood."

Yuri's face turned a sickly shade of green.

"Well we don't usually target humans! It draws far much too attention. We stick to bigger fish. The small ones are okay for a snack, but-" I paused as Yuri's color came back.

"Ah, my mistake." Yuri rubbed the back of his neck sheepishly.

Adorable.

"It's okay. Back in the day it was pretty normal. Siren's luring fishermen to a watery grave and bla bla bla." I waved my hand back and forth.

"The folklore is true?" Yuri raised his brows in surprise.

"Of course it is idiot. Look who you are talking to." Yurio snapped clearly letting his hunger get the best of him.

"It's the same thing. It get's the job done." I shrugged.

I noticed that Yuri still looked uncomfortable.

"I can hunt for you." I whispered leaning close to his ear. His cheeks turned pink, but his eyes were grateful.

I left Yuri reluctantly as Yurio and I went to hunt.

"Do you think he will be okay on his own?" I asked worried.

"He'll be fine. We won't be long." Yurio rolled his eyes swimming ahead of me. He began his call and I followed suit.

YURI

I stared at my hands for a long while after Victor and Yurio went to hunt for food. I felt like a coward, or a baby.

Feeding like this was the way I would survive until I could go back to normal. Just because I had never done it before didn't make it wrong.

Am I worried about losing myself and becoming one of them, or am I worried that I might actually enjoy being a siren?

I had to admit it was beautiful under the sea.

The colors, sights, sounds, people-

I paused at that last thought.

People?

I knew deep down I had meant Victor. He was remarkable. So vibrant, and full of life. He was charming, sweet, and beautiful.

But he isn't a human.

I furrowed my brows as that last thought rubbed me the wrong way.

Just because he isn't human doesn't mean he isn't a person. He had enough humanity to save me.

"Yuri? Are you okay?" Victor's sweet melodious voice broke through my bubble of concentration.

I looked up to stare into his blue-green eyes.

"S-sorry. I didn't know you came back." I admitted feeling a little silly at having been caught in that state.