Chapter 24

YAKOV

I watched as Victor and Yuri reached the surface.

Take care my son.

With a heavy heart I swam farther from the docks and deeper into the ocean. I rounded the bend of a coral reef and stopped.

The water around me had gone completely still. I waited as I felt a presence behind me. Without even risking a glance I knew who it was.

"Hello Lilia." My hands clenched into fists at my sides.

"Yakov, my love. It has been a long time." Her voice was as rhythmic as a song. Just the mere sound of her voice was enough to tempt me to turn around and face her.

"It has." I agreed. Still facing away from her my face began to change. My fangs protruded from my slightly parted lips. My eyes glowed a vibrant chartreuse. My finger nails began to extend and bit into the skin of my palms.

"I gave you everything. Everything you could have wanted. I loved you. You hid from me. Turned your back on me. Now you betray me?" With each word I could hear the change in her voice. Gone was the beautiful siren Lilia I had fallen in love with. In her stead was the vengeful  sea witch.

"You tried to take my boys from me. I cannot forgive that." I turned on her and clamped my hand around her throat. The witch struggled against my hold, but she had made a fatal mistake.

She had given me too much strength to protect her and our kind. Now I was going to use it to kill her.

Her once brown hair now white floated behind her in a mad halo. Her fangs were extended and longer than even my own. Her thin bony fingers clawed my skin tearing through the flesh but I held strong.

"Goodbye love." I murmured.

With that she let out a shrill shriek and threw her head back with my hand still around her throat. Her eyes began to glow a brilliant white until there was no color left in them.

"Goodbye." She cried grasping my forearm.

I felt a strange sensation jolt through my body.

Her power.

It was strong and it was winning. I fought against her magic. I had to win. I had to kill her. It was then I felt it. I was getting weaker. I could feel the painful burning of my body turning into seafoam.

I could feel it fizzing at my tail, shoulders, and fingers. It was only a matter of time before I would be gone. I gripped her throat tighter.

I'm taking you with me.

YURIO

I drew back from my kiss with Otabek. My hands still clutched his cheeks hoping this would work.

Please. Please. Please.

"Open your eyes Beka." I pleaded. My fangs sank into my lower lip as anxiety pooled in my stomach.

Please.

Otabek's eyes flew open as a light encased him. I used my arms to shield my eyes.

"Yura?" Otabek's familiar deep voice called out to me.

Lowering my arms I found him alive and smiling at me. Without a moments hesitation I lunged forward and threw my arms around his neck.

"It worked!" I cried. I drew back and smacked his shoulder.
"Don't scare me like that again!" I bellowed.

Otabek chuckled and placed a comforting hand on my shoudler.

"I promise." He gave me a lopsided smile causing my heart to race.