Chapter 14

YURIO

Before we could proceed with our new plan to rescue Victor and change back Otabek, Yakov muttered my name gaining my attention. He gestured me to follow him. We swam a little ways from the others. I could feel their eyes on me in question. Ignoring their stares I folded my arms doing my best to seem disinterested but I was curious as to what he could want.

"What is it?" I huffed.

"I don't know how long turning you into a human will last, but you should tell that boy who you are and what you did before the ritual returns him to human for good." Yakov raised his bushy brows.

"How did you-" I began.

"A father knows. Besides Victor told me." He shrugged.

"I see." I clicked my tongue against my teeth.

Traitor.

"Well for your information I was going to tell him, but then that idiot Victor, got kidnapped and now we have to rescue him." I clenched my hands.

I didn't bother to mention that I had been kidnapped first.

At least I escaped.

"Yurio do you remember why I I took you in?" Yakov asked so suddenly after a long silence I was taken aback.

"I was weak and pathetic back then." I narrowed my eyes.

"Because you were alone. You were afraid and alone. You lashed out because you were scared. I took your life, your memories. I took everything from you.
You don't remember, but I do." Yakov swam closer. Closing the distance between us.

I turned my head away. I didn't want to hear this. Not then, and not now.

I don't want to know why I became a siren.

"You were a Duke. A young man of power. You lived in a castle above this cliff that overlooked the sea. I had been traveling and was injured by pirates and stayed below the cliffs for a long while.

Late at night when the moon was high a boy came to the cliffs and stood on the ledge holding his arms out wide. Tears would roll down his cheeks. He would scream into the wind." He paused long enough for me to look at him.

My heart thumped against my ribs. Beating like a drum.

I don't want to hear this.

"You wanted to die." His voice was cold, and yet there was a sadness behind his words.

"I felt the urge to sing. To call to you. To take your life from you. The life you wanted to throw away. I left afraid of what I was becoming. Afraid to lure a child to their death.

I returned one night years later and there you were standing beneath a full moon dressed in the finest clothing. You didn't hold out your arms. You didn't shout. You didn't even part your lips. Your eyes that were full of hatred and anger were cold. You didn't flinch as you took a step forward. The last step you would ever take." Yakov swallowed a shaky breath.

I felt like my heart was going to burst at any moment. I didn't remember any of this. I didn't want to. I didn't want to know who I was before I lost everything. Before all I knew was a ravenous hunger for blood.

Stop- I don't want to hear this!

I wanted to scream to shove him away. To even question why he was telling me all of this now. Instead I remained motionless. I was frozen, captivated by his words like a prisoner.

"Stop." My voice barely audible. The sound was less than a whisper.

Yakov's hard gaze bore into mine. I turned to leave him, but his words stopped me.