Chapter Thirty-Six

"Man. That last chapter was really short," Hansel said.

The man's smirk instantly disappeared from his face. "Silence," he ordered us. "I am the only man around here."

My twin leaned forward. "I am a man too! I am a boy!"

"You and I are males, but there is a difference." He raised an eyebrow. "How old are you?"

"Eleven."

He turned to me. "And how old are you?"

I somehow had the courage to talk to this stranger. "I am also eleven. We are twins, sir."

"I guessed that." Dr. Maxwell brought his hands from behind his back and let his arms dangle to the sides. "And I thank you for calling me the word 'sir.'"

I nodded. "You are welcome." I did not know whether this guy was here to save us or the person who was responsible for tying us up. Regardless, I was going to be polite. I did not want me or my twin to be harmed in any way. We just wanted to gather our stuff and get out of this house.

I was hoping that the man would save us.

The doctor - if he actually was a doctor - took his sweet time to walk to the table that was near us. The table which the top of it was still covered with papers and videotapes. He picked up a piece of paper and locked his eyes on us. He did not say anything.

"Hey!" Hansel exclaimed, breaking the silence. "Did you tie us up? Or will you set us free?"

Dr. Maxwell chuckled softly, and my body shook. The way that he chuckled was...creepy.

"I would never let you two go," he stated.

I was afraid of that.

He crumpled the paper into a ball and stuffed it in the pocket of his lab coat.

"Uh, why did you just crumple a poor piece of paper and put it in your pocket?" I questioned. "I cannot be the only one who is wondering that. I bet that our fans are wondering too."

He shrugged. "Eh. It is trash. Paper that I do not need anymore. I should throw it away, but I am lazy and will throw it in the trash later." He picked up another piece of paper. "Besides, there is no place to store trash in this room." He strolled back to us. "I suppose that you both are wondering why I brought you here and tied you to this chair." He tapped the top of the chair with a hand.

"Yes," Hansel and I answered in unison.

He chuckled again. "I will ask you some questions. Answer truthfully. Please."

"...okay," Hansel responded.

"Excellent. I hate liars." His smirk reappeared. "Did you - or did you not - come to the house? This house?"

My twin brother tilted his head to the side. "Outside? Or inside?"

Dr. Maxwell narrowed his eyebrows. "Inside."

I remembered when we had first visited the house. Hansel desiring to go in. The boy.
——————————————————————————
That house looks nice," Hansel commented.

"Yes, it does," I agreed.

We then saw a boy striding across the grass. The boy looked to be our age. Eleven years old. He wore dark blue shorts, a blue jacket, and a red scarf. He had pale skin and brown hair.

I watched as the boy walked up to the porch of the house. He opened the door and went inside. The door closed behind him.

Hansel gripped my wrist. "We should go in the house and introduce ourselves to that boy," he suggested.
——————————————————————————
And when we entered the house.
——————————————————————————
My brother, his whole body, was pulled into the darkness.

"Hansel!"

I then felt some force pushing me. I fell and landed in the darkness. I blew a strand of my hair away and got up.

And I watched in horror as the door was shut and locked.
——————————————————————————
"Well, we were on the porch," Hansel started. "And then..."

"Yes," I interrupted. "My brother and I were in the house. But we did not want to go in. I swear."

Hansel frowned. "I wanted to go in."

"Really?" Dr. Maxwell said. "Why?"

My brother blew away a strand of his hair that was blocking his eyes. "We saw a boy, and I wanted to befriend him."

"Why?"

He shrugged. "I like befriending people. Especially if they look to be about my age. He went into this house."

"Ah. So that is why you came."

"I was trying to stop him," I cut in. "But we...we were forced inside!"

"Hmm? By who?"

"I-I do not know. We did not see. But it was definitely a force." I sighed. "I am sorry. Is this house yours?"

"It most certainly is. I bought it months ago."

"Again, I am sorry. We did not mean to intrude your house. We will leave as soon as you untie me and my brother. We will never disturb the peace."

"Wait," Hansel spoke. "Do you know that there is a monster running around the house?"

The doctor crossed his arms. "Monster?"

"The Creature From Beyond," I said. "That is apparently what he is called."

"Pfft!" Dr. Maxwell played with his fingers. "I hope that creature is here. This is his book after all."

I breathed heavily. "So you know about the creature?"

"Of course!" He bent down to our level. "What I am surprised about is that this used to be your old house. You know? The house that you left eight months ago?"