XII: Patches O'Leary

Patches awoke with the early dawn. After a quick breakfast down in the tavern he was outside in the early light. The breeze smelled of the sea and the passed storm. The very scent making the one eyed teen think of home on the ship. Admittedly a part of him missed it already, but not a part of him that he chose to dwell on.

    He walked with purpose through the ship district, despite the fact that he actually had no idea where he was going. Dock hands and shipwrights seemed to be busy everywhere adding to the beautiful sounds you could only really hear at a port.

Though one thing struck him as odd.

There seemed to be a small but growing group of teens all dressed in the same outfit. Odd for so many of their age to be waiting for a boat, as they very obviously weren't working, nor were traveling with families.

    “Be ye standing for a family picture.” The one eyed teen joked to the group with an over exaggerated wink. Most of them ignored him completely, though a few of the girls and a young boy blushed lightly.

    “Until the boat arrives. This is the waiting area for students to the best school in the world.” An auburn haired girl replied. Pure privilege seemed to radiate from her voice, as she looked over him. “Someone like you should stay in the slums and away from us. Only the smartest or most powerful can even step foot in the Unseen School.”

    “Ay lassie. Well I be Patches O’leary greatest bard to ever sail the seas.” The one eyed man said with a prideful gleam. His pure unfazed confidence making the girl almost glow red in anger.

    “If that's the case there is a tournament in the central arena. Anyone can enter and the top three entries get to go to Unseen for free.” A bored teen, also in uniform, said. He seemed to appear out of nowhere, though his very presence seemed to calm the girl down. “Good luck Mr. O’Leary.” He added with a small nod. The teen then puts an arm over the girl “C’mon Ras.” he can softly be heard saying as he walks away from the group entirely with her.

    A tournament and a school to be the most powerful. Now this, this a pirate could get behind.