Never Let Go

My foot was dangling off my bed when I woke up, and when I rolled over the place next to me was empty. This is nothing out of the ordinary of course, and with my mind still fuzzy from having just woken up I somehow forgot someone was meant to be next to me.

"Finally! You're awake." I hear her say and I sit up quickly. Emerald is leaning against my doorframe, already dressed in black jeans and a blue and black checked shirt.

"What time is it?" I ask groggily.

Em giggles, "Almost eleven. You can't still be tired."

"Well, I am," I groan, stuffing my face in my pillow again and putting my blanket over my head.

"Come on, Evie," my friend yanks the blankets off my bed, then grabs my legs saying, "It's time to get up!"

I scream and try to wriggle out of her grasp like a fish out of water as she pulls me out of my bed. I land on the floor rather ungracefully, then put my hands up, defeated. "Okay, okay, I'm up!"

Emerald laughs as I stand up clumsily. I can't stop myself from smiling like an idiot. "How long have you been up?" I ask.

"I don't know, since eight thirty, maybe?" She shrugs.

"Shit, I'm sorry, Em. You could've woken me up."

"Nah, it's fine. I just ended up going downstairs. Gerard was there in the living room already and then I thought, "Oh my god, I'm seeing what Gerard Way does on a plain old Saturday morning, am I dreaming?" and then he saw me and said good morning and I was just like, 'uh hi' all awkward-like and so I just came back in here."

I laugh a little, shaking my head at Em's story. "You are actual trash."

She smiles brightly (adorably) and says, "Yeah, but you still love me."

"Yeah, I do, but... this isn't why you like me, right?"

She knows what I'm referring to, but Em still gives me a confused look, "What do you mean? I just found out about this literally yesterday."

"I know, but," I sigh, "you're not gonna get tired of me, right? And then only keep hanging out with me because of who my family is?"

"Evie," Em says, placing her hands on my shoulders and looking into my eyes. "I'll never get tired of you. We haven't even known each other for that long, but I feel like we've been friends forever. I'm so happy I met you."

I feel a blush creep onto my cheeks and I break eye contact, looking down at my feet. "I'm so happy I met you, too," I say quietly.

"Come here, you dork," Em says, then hugs me tightly. I hug her back. I never want to let go.

• • •

Emerald chose my outfit for me, digging through my closet, but being careful to keep it just as organized as it was when she found it. She threw me a pair of black, ripped jeans, a white T-shirt, and a galaxy hoodie I forgot I had.

I go to the bathroom to change, and put my hair up in a messy bun while I'm there. When I come back, Em takes one look at me before saying, "Lookin' good, Evie." Then she winks.

I cover my face to hide my red cheeks, failing to realize how weird I must look just randomly covering my face like that. "Thanks, Em," I giggle through a crack in my fingers. I'm not very articulate on a good day, but how is one girl turning me into such a mess?

She laughs at my awkwardness then says, "So what are we doing today?"

I stuff my hands in the pocket of my hoodie. I never know what to do with my hands. "I don't know... have you had breakfast yet?"

"No, I'm starving," she falls quiet, but only for a second because then she says excitedly, "Let's go out for brunch— or lunch at this point? I know this little place not too far, I'll take you!"

Her excitement is infectious and before I realize what I'm saying the words have already left my mouth, "Let's do it!"

We grab our jackets then head downstairs. Gerard is in the living room drawing or something, and he looks up at the sound of our footsteps.

"You're up, finally!" He says, looking at me.

"Yeah, only because Emerald literally pulled me out of bed."

"Hey, but it worked," she says. I stick my tongue out at her and she does the same back.

"Okay, children," Gee says, putting an end to our banter. "Where are you two headed?"

"Oh, yeah, can we go out for food? Em knows a place." I'd forgotten our original purpose of coming downstairs, even though we have our jackets on. Now that he's reminded me I'm nervous, but kind of excited.

He looks between us both, fighting a suspicious looking smile. "Okay," he says finally. "Just make sure you have your phones on you."

"I do. Thanks, Gee," I go over and hug him before leading Emerald out of the house.

"How far is it?" I ask as we walk away from the house, turning right.

"Less than twenty minutes walk, I'd say," she replies then adds playfully, "Why? Getting tired already?"

"Yeah," I say sarcastically, "Exhausted. You're gonna have to carry me the whole way there."

"If you say so!" She makes to pick me up.

"No, no, no, that won't end well!" I laugh, speeding up to a run. She chases me down the road until we get to a street corner and I stop because I don't know which way to go. We're both laughing uncontrollably and gasping for air by this point. Even the stupidest, most unfunny things can be twisted into something hilarious if you're with the right people. That's the thing about friends, I guess.

We stop for a minute to catch our breaths before she leads the way again, this time guiding me to the left.

It's starting to get colder out, and the air is nipping at my fingertips. I'd so like to reach and out grab Emerald's hand and intertwine our fingers. We could swing our arms back and forth in sync with our steps, her hand would be soft and warm and I'd only let go to open the door for her when we get to our destination. I stuff my hands into my pockets instead.

We must be close to the café when I realize something. "Oh, shit, Em! I forgot to bring money!" I exclaim, facepalming.

"Don't worry, Evie. I have money."

"No, I can't let you pay for me," I'd feel bad. It's my own forgetful self who forgot to grab even a few dollars, she shouldn't be the one paying for it. Literally and figuratively.

But my friend insists, "Really, it's on me."

"Are- are you sure?"

"A hundred percent." We've reached our destination now: A small café I've never noticed before. I can smell coffee before Em even opens the door, letting me in ahead of her.

Only later do I have the sudden thought of, could that have been... a date?

Gerard's POV

It's been over an hour since Eve and her friend left, but I'm not worried. Emerald is a good kid, and I know my daughter is safe with her. I think I know the place they're gone to, anyway. It's not far so they should be home pretty soon.

Eve was so down after what happened at school, but as soon as Emerald got here she perked right up. That girl makes her happy, and when she's happy, I'm happy.

The only thing that could make me happier is if they have a coffee for me when they get back.

"Hey, Gee!" I hear Eve's voice ring out as the front door opens. "We're back and we bring coffee!"

"Fuck yeah!" I knew she'd pull through.