may issue ✧ 31

hope this is not horrible because I'm not feeling my best. love you all.

✧✧✧

"Luke!" Michael called when he heard the door open. He walked down the stairs with a smile on his face. "Luke, my mum just called me... Oh my god, what happened to you?"

"Baby that's amazing," Luke said weakly as Michael rushed down the stairs.

"Luke." He grabbed Luke's face in order to see if he was okay but ended up scaring him. The younger boy moved away, the last time someone touched him he was pressed against the hard and cold metal.

"M'sorry," Luke whispered when he saw how Michael's smile turned into a frown all because of him. All because he did something he shouldn't have.

Michael carefully offered Luke his hand. When their fingers were intertwined everything felt better. "You have nothing to apologize for, just please tell me what happened to you." His boyfriend sounded upset and hurt. Luke didn't want to hurt him more.

"I did something stupid, Mikey," Luke whispered. "I wanted to get this for you."

In his free hand, he was holding the broken frames of the broken family.

Michael's face changed again, this time to enraged. "Did William? I'm going to kill him."

"No, no." Luke leaned forward and hugged Michael. He didn't flinch this time, this time it was okay. Okay because he got Michael and okay because he had to make sure Michael was okay. "It wasn't him. I was stupid." Luke leaned his forehead onto Michael's shoulder and the older boy rocked them left and right trying to calm both of them down. "I went over to your old place to get you these pictures. You said your mum didn't take any when she left and maybe she'd want a copy when you'd finally meet."

"Too good." Was all Michael said but then let Luke speak again.

"Kyle was there." Michael squeezed his hand a bit harder once he heard his words. "I-I didn't know why I still don't know why. He pressed me back and I couldn't move." Anxiety was building up inside of Luke but Michael's presence was healing to his soul. "He started shouting how I ruined everything and you two had a deal. How you'll never leave because of me. I didn't understand anything."

"Luke, baby. I'm so sorry."

Luke looked at Michael with tears in his eyes. "What have I ruined Michael?"

Michael's eyes immediately found his and as gently as he could Michael touched his face. "Baby boy, you didn't ruin anything. I thought if I left, William would still need someone to take over the car dealership so I helped Kyle get into an evening school. Not because he'd deserve my help but I just thought it'd make it easier William to let go of me."

It still didn't make sense to Luke and Michael seemed to understand it.

"I wanted to sell the dealership to him, get the money and leave, you know that. The dealership is mine still but we're not even talking so I'm not sure I'll get any money out of it. Not that I want any of his money at this point. He literally sent my mother away when she came to see me."

"William said you'll leave anyway. Because of me."

Michael laughed and Luke didn't know why.

"You, Luke, gave me so much strength and confidence. Before I met you, I thought that if I don't graduate, I'll never get out of this rotten city. Now I'll go everywhere with you."

But Luke knew that wasn't the case. He and Michael were going to different schools. Still, it was worth it if Michael will get away from the people that hurt him the most.

Finally, Michael took the frames and photographs from him. "Thank you, Luke."

"You're not mad?" Luke whispered.

Michael laughed and placed the photos on the table before hugging his boyfriend. "Of course not. I love you, everything you do for me is meant well and that's more than I can say for anyone in my life."

Luke ran his fingers over Michael's Peter Pan tattoo and smiled. There was a star in the sky that loves his boy too but Luke was here on Earth to show his love to Michael.

They made it onto the couch and Luke cuddled against Michael. "Tell me about your phone call. What did your mum say?"

"Oh." Michael needed a second to switch his mindset. "We didn't actually speak. She left a voicemail, well, a voice message to be exact. She said she's not ready just yet to see me but that she loves me and that... that's she's sorry." Michael needed to stop and took a deep breath in. Luke squeezed him closer. "Her doctor said she needed just a bit more time. And we have to start small, maybe texting or a phone call, just to not break her down again. Then after we graduate next month we'd go and see her."

"That's amazing Michael. I'm so happy for you."

Michael kissed Luke's collarbone that was forming a bruise. "Thank you for being here for me. I can't wait for you to meet her. Helen already said I should come and stay with them for a while over the summer. It's near your grandparents, but you already know that it'll be so much fun. If she'll be ready of course."

Luke smiled. Michael looked so happy he could cry. It was all he wanted to see, his boy happy. Filled with optimism once more.

"Mikey, I think it's something you'll have to do alone."

Michael frowned. "What do you mean?"

"Helen invited you and as much as I know her, she probably meant it. You and your family need some time to heal...."

He didn't let the younger boy finish. "You are my family."

"I know. And I love you and I'm so happy. When the moment will be right, I'll spend the time with you three too. But you know you need some time alone with them."

Michael smiled and nodded like he was unsure. But Luke knew that it'd be too much for him to be there too.

✧✧✧

thoughts? feelings?

michael scaring luke first but then calming him down?

karen's voice message?

luke's decision to stay away for a bit?

do you want to see the m+karen reunion?

Love, Lucija ♡