february issue ✧ 18

happy holidays everybody!

✧✧✧

Michael parked his car in front of his boyfriend's house and checked the phone. He sent a text to Luke ten minutes ago and he still hadn't seen it. The light was on in his room and the first floor was also lit up so he walked towards the house and knocked.

"Michael." Luke's mum smiled and hugged him. "It's so good to see you."

She pushed him inside the house and wouldn't take a no for an answer when she asked if he wanted anything to drink. Michael liked her, even before he was his boyfriend's mum.

Well, actually before he was her son's boyfriend.

Liz was a cool teacher and didn't give him too much trouble when he missed a lot of his classes because of his dad's trail.

What Michael noticed was that Luke had definitely told her at least something about Peter or his dad. He was used to the hint of pity people had in their eyes when they talked to him. Everyone who knew at least a part of his story did.

Everyone except Luke.

It was like every time Michael revealed yet another secret about him instead of feeling sorry for him Luke only had love in his eyes. Michael liked to at least imagine it was love. He knew it wasn't pity for sure.

"You know Michael I never thanked you." She said after she explained Luke was still in the shower. Michael knew he was early but he wanted to squeeze a make-out session with Luke before their date.

Where they'll hopefully kiss some more.

"I'm sorry Mrs. Hemmings, I'm not sure what you should thank me for?"

She laughed. Actually laughed.

"I'm not surprised you haven't noticed. Luke is good at hiding his feelings."

Now Michael got worried. What was it that he didn't know about?

"Before he met you Luke was very angry and sad most of the time. He didn't enjoy our move and once his hormones hit, he... well, he became a fuckboy."

Michael almost choked on his drink.

"Don't look at me like that. I'm not either blind nor deaf. I work at the school, I hear the rumors. And I know most of them are rumors but like this summer he was never home and the fewer questions I asked the better. Not that his brothers were any different but Luke is you know, gay and I'm pretty sure he's not the tough one in his relationship."

Michael really, really didn't want to hear any more of this.

"I'm sorry. He's a bit weird you know? But since you're around he's happier. He talks more. He's not in his room constantly and when he's not sleeping here at least I know with whom he is."

He finally got to say something. "Believe me he does more for me than I do for him. Still, thank you for telling me this. I just want you to know I care a lot about your son."

"I can see it." She smiled. "You're his first boyfriend, you know?"

And no, Michael didn't. He didn't even have time to react to it as the beautiful boy he got to call his came down the stairs.