Chapter 10

(Y/N POV)

Woah there.

"Relax, I was messing around," Aidan explained, "I'm not trying to make a move on you."

I blinked slowly.

I couldn't tell what was going on in this very moment. Did he think I thought he liked me? If so, he thought wrong.

"I know," I said, "it just caught me by surprise."

He smiled at me, and adjusted his Umbrella Academy uniform. He was on a mini break before lunch, so we only had time for minimal conversation.

"When's Nina coming?" I asked, switching the subject.

"Tomorrow morning. I'm going to pick her up from the airport at 2am, then we'll head to set."

"That's really early. Do you still need me to bring you breakfast?"

"Nah, we'll go out to eat somewhere."

I smiled weakly, not sure on how to feel about this situation. My fingers tapped against the side of my canvas bag, the soft thud of the contact ringing in my ears. Aidan didn't seem to notice my anticipation, because he kept rambling on and on about his best friend.

After all, she was the love of his life, so how could I compete with that? I directed my attention to my cheaply made watch, and frowned when I saw the time.

"Come on Gallagher," I said, pointing towards the set, "breaks over."

"I'm sure they can wait 5 minutes, I'm almost done with this story!"

"Well I wasn't listening anyways."

Ouch, that came out harsher than I expected. I fumbled around for words to take it back, but the hurt look on Aidan's face told me it was too late for that. I opened my mouth to mutter an apology, but he just brushed past me with a sigh.

"It's fine," he said, "I get it."

"Aidan-"

"You meant it, and I get that. I'm going to set now, I'll see you later."

I could almost hear the disappointment in his voice. In my jealousy and confusion, I let that single sentence slip out of my mouth and ruin our friendship. Only two days in, and he probably thinks I'm a jerk.

I stalked behind him, kicking the gravel beneath my feet. I knew better than to feel sorry for myself, so I focused on a different topic. As I stumbled into the scene shop, I made my way over to the random prop assortment.

I picked up a red soda can, and flipped it over to read the label. It was too scratched up to read cleary, so I came up with the assumption that it was just really old. Gross.

"I need that," a voice said behind me, "I hope you didn't shake it up to badly."

I set the can down in a sudden burst of surprise, and knocked over the whole stack of them. The crackle of the carbonation fizzed from inside the cans, and I let out a sorry groan.

This day was just going to get worse, and worse, and worse.

"I'm really sorry," I said quickly, "I got scared and I- they just fe- yeah sorry that was all my fault."

I turned to look at the boy beside me, and he was just staring dumbfounded at the pile of tipped over cans. He was the typical blonde hair/ blue eye gene type of guy, but I noticed he was wearing the same uniform as Aidan.

So this kid was an actor in the show, needed a soda can as a prop, and witnessed me ruin the whole thing. Well I'm about to lose my job if he reports me.

"Well we know what's going to happen to those," he said.

He puffed up his cheeks and made the sound of a firework exploding. I stifled a giggle, not sure if I had the right to laugh after that scene. I stood there awkwardly, my mouth half open, fumbling around for words.

"I'm Cameron," he said, holding out his hand, "And you are?"

I hesitated before shaking it.

"I-" I started. It had just occurred to me that in the mass embarrassment, I had forgotten my own name, "I'm- i- uM-"

Cameron smiled, and pulled his hand back to his side.

"Clumsy?" he said, finishing my sentence.

He picked up a can from the table, and waved it in front of my face as he walked away. I couldn't figure out if I should be offended by the fact that he called me clumsy, or the fact that he pointed out my mistake.

"That's not my name!" I called after him, "and I'm not clumsy!"

He turned towards me, so he was walking backwards. I almost thought he was going to topple over, but he seemed to be perfectly on balance.

"See ya' clumsy," he teased.

A/N: So I reported those toxic people to the principle. Feels good to see them get what they deserve :).

Btw, thank you guys so much for your comments on the previous post. they really helped me pull through and get the confidence to turn those horrible people in. couldn't have done it without your support <3