Chapter 31

(Y/N POV)

5 Years Later : New York City

Best to keep holding on.

"Why do you think this job is for you?"

I was sitting in an uncomfortable chair, staring at an old man. Not the kind of place I'd expect myself to be, but this is my future now I suppose. The man had his eyes glued to my resume, scratching notes into the notepad beside him.

"Because I have previous experience working for this company and doing this job," I explained, "It was the highlight of my teen years, and I'd love to get back in the game."

When I said highlight, I may have been lying. What happened back in freshman year of high school was something I'd rather not bring up anymore. The only thing that mattered now was getting this job.

"Alright," the man said, "we'll email you if we're seriously considering you for this job. If you have any questions, don't hesitate to call, and have a nice day."

"Thank you."

He waved his hand politely, and I strolled out of his office in anticipation. I had just finished the interview, and yet I couldn't wait to see if I had been chosen. In all truth, I think I have this in the bag. I've already got my credits for working with Netflix as an assistant, and I did a pretty good job at it too.

Maybe not that good, but I was 14.

I got into the elevator and pressed the lobby button, waiting for the doors to close. I heard the faint hum of the machine as I went down, and it seemed to make my heart beat faster. I needed this job. It was the only one I was qualified for, since I didn't get into any colleges.

It wasn't because I'm not smart, I just lost track of myself for the remainder of high school, and didn't make the best choices. Toronto messed me up.

Once the elevator came to a stop, I walked out of the glass building and made my way to my car. Over the five years, things got out of hand. My parents got divorced, and Ameila moved to california. I haven't seen her since, and we've stopped texting over time. Our connection was lost, and most likely indefinitely.

I had a boyfriend in junior year, Carter Valens, but he was a druggie who only wanted me to accompany him to parties. Another one of my horrible moments with people of the male gender.

I never seem to get anything right, and life just blows me over. If I don't get called back for this position, I might as well be homeless. My mother retired early, which left her with no fixed income or a place to live. It wasn't smart, so I have to take care of the both of us now. I felt my phone buzz in my pocket, and I pulled it out to answer my incoming call.

"Hey Molly," I said, "what's up?"

"Did you get the job?"

"I don't know yet, hopefully I will! Where are you?"

"I'm at Jake's apartment," she said, "you should come over."

"Thanks, but I should probably head home."

"Bummer. Call me if you need anything, babe."

"I will. Bye Molls."

"Bye!"

I hung up the phone, and pulled out my car keys. I unlocked my dark blue toyota, and climbed into the driver's seat. Molly was the only person I stayed in touch with from high school, so we were pretty close. She was staying with her boyfriend jake, since we're both drop outs.

Lucky for her, she already has a job. And it pays well too.

I sighed, and pushed my keys into the ignition. Pulling out of the parking lot, I made my way through the busy streets of New York City. My house was on the outskirts of downtown business center, so it would take a while to get there.

Keeping my left hand on the wheel, I connected my phone to the car's bluetooth and tapped on Spotify. I played my Getting Stuff Done playlist, and started jamming out to Senorita by Shawn Mendes and Camila Cabello.

"I love it when you call me senorita," I sang out, "I wish I could pretend I didn't need ya'."

By the time I got back to my house, it was almost evening. My stomach growled with hunger, and I tried to suck it in and pretend I wasn't. Until I found a job, my mom and I had to eat whatever was in the house. That was pretty much only chips and soda.

I needed to hit the gym.

I got out of my car and locked it, making my way towards my front door. The lights were all off, so I assumed my mother was still sleeping. She slept all day, and when she was awake, she was watching TV.

I missed the days when she still worked for HULU and NETFLIX, because she was honestly the coolest double job mom in the world. Until something happened, which she still won't tell me about, and she retired early. I don't really care about it anymore, though.

My life's messed up as it is.