Chapter 11

(Y/N POV)

Buttercup

Lunch break was soon, so I was waiting outside the trailer park for Aidan. I didn't know how happy he'd be to eat lunch with me, considering my outburst earlier that morning.

I let a burst of air leave my mouth, a take on an exasperated sigh. It was getting slightly chilly outside, but I hadn't brought a sweater with me. In an attempt to warm myself, I ran my hands over my arms to generate some heat.

I glanced at my phone screen, reading the time. I had a couple minutes left, so I walked over to the sidewalk ledge and looked down on the street pavement. It was a good couple inches off the ground, but I didn't bother at the point.

Buttercup by Jack Stauber was blasting through my headphones, which were not airpods, sending my head into a ethereal state. I extended my arms against the breeze, and let it push me slightly back.

It was fun at first, until a surprising burst of wind hit me from behind, sending me toppling into the street. My head was about to hit the pavement, an outcome I had desperately not wanted, but I was suddenly pulled back by my wrists.

"Didn't your mother tell you that it was bad to fall on your face in the middle of the street?"

I narrowed my eyes when I recognized the voice from earlier. I took out my earbuds and turned to face him, cleary upset that he had witnessed another one of those moments.

"Cameron," I addressed him plainly, "nice to see you again, I guess."

"You guess?"

"I guess?"

He chuckled, his blue eyes glinting in the sunlight. Something about his eyes didn't settle right with me, not saying they weren't beautiful, but still. After staring at them for a quick moment, I came to the conclusion of why that was.

They weren't green.

"You're Aidan's assistant?" He asked, shoving his hands in his jean pockets.

"Yeah, I got here 2 days ago."

"Huh. usually the caretakers are older people with grumpy attitudes. This is new."

"Thanks?"

The conversation, let me say this frankly, was awkward. Neither of seemed to know what to say, but we stood there because we both wanted to keep talking to each other. Seems strange, but it makes perfect sense.

"I've got an hour left," he said, glancing at his watch, "I'm going to grab lunch."

"Have fun."

"You should come with me."

"I should? And why is that?"

I smirked at him, desperate to hear his response. It wasn't a usual occurrence for an attractive boy to tell me I should go to lunch with him, so I was milking this with every chance I got.

"Because I'm hungry," he explained, "and I want to get to know you better."

I pushed my phone down into the bottom of my satchel, and followed after him.

........

We ended up getting tacos at some place a couple blocks down, and we were eating them as we walked back.

"How did you know I was Aidan's assistant," I questioned, "did he tell you about me?"

Part of me was clinging onto that small sliver of hope that he did, but I didn't know the disappointment would be so heavy. I had only known him for 2 days, yet hearing the next words come out of Camerons mouth really crushed me.

"No, he's never brought you up before" he said, "I asked one of the crew who you were."

"I see."

I took a bite out of my taco, wishing I could just sit down and contemplate life. Cameron seemed to sense I had been slightly put off, because he stared at me sympathetically.

"Sorry, did I say something wrong?" he asked.

"No, you're fine, don't worry about it."

"It was about the 'Aidan not talking about you' thing, wasn't it?"

"No-"

"You like him?!"

I gave up speaking as a whole. Cameron seemed to have figured everything out by cutting me off with each sentence. My cheeks flushed red, and I stared at the ground as we walked.

"Okay, let me just say this," he rambled on, "you two would be cuuuuuttttteeeeee."

"Dude. he doesn't even talk about me!"

"Maybe he's anti-social."

"He's not."

"Well then get him to talk to you. Charm him over with your loveliness."

"I don't have any loveliness, plain and simple."

Cameron opened his mouth to say something, but he shut it after thinking it over. I wondered what he was going to say, but I was too focused on not dropping my taco on the pavement.

We switched conversations, and tried to put off the topic for as long as we could. Once we reached the set, Cameron ran off to change into his costume, and I set off towards the trailers.

As I neared it, I caught sight of Aidan sitting on the steps of our trailer. He had half a granola bar in his hand, and a sad look on his face.

Oh my god. I forgot Aidan's lunch.