Chapter 18

It had been 2 months since my breakup with Austin.

And I was extremely proud of myself for making progress. I knew somewhere deep down, I still loved and missed him, but I cried less and less with each day that went by.

Having zero contact with him gave me the opportunity to heal and somewhat forget that my heart was in pieces.

Though it was a start to moving on, he still remained tucked in the back of my mind.

It wasn't easy but I was trying my best to be happy again.

I couldn't deny that a part of me was hoping that I would have heard from him again since we broke up. But after I never responded to him, I'm sure he decided to move on with his life too.

He was probably busy with constant shows, appearances and studio sessions, that it was easy to distract his mind from what happened between us.

Okay Amelia that's enough thinking about him for today

I scolded myself as I finished my food in the hospital cafeteria.

I still had more than half of my shift left and I felt absolutely drained of energy. I bought a small coffee before I made my way back to my nursing floor.

*****

I squeezed my eyes shut as I emptied my entire lunch into to the toilet in the bathroom of the nurses lounge.

There was a virus going around the hospital and I'm sure I had caught it. I had thrown up 3 times in a row and for the past few days I was feeling sick. I was dreading telling my manager that I needed to go home. I hated leaving my coworkers short handed and I knew it was going to to cause chaos on the floor.

Even with the slight hint of a contagious illness, we weren't allowed to care for our patients.

I took a deep breath as I walked into Linda's office.

"Hey Linda I'm not feeling so good. I think I might have caught that virus that everyone's been freaking out about."

She looked at me over her reading glasses.

"Well what's wrong?" She questioned.

"I've thrown up a few times."

"Amy you're my charge nurse. Plus I have 2 other nurses out with this virus already." She sighed.

"Okay go to employee health for an evaluation and see what they tell you." "Go home regardless, I don't want to take any chances.

"Thanks Linda." I said as I quickly left her office to grab my purse and keys and then took the elevator down to the floor underneath my unit.

I walked into the small employee health clinic and greeted the nurse at the front desk.

"Hey Amy everything okay?" Maria asked she handed me paperwork to fill out.

"I've been throwing up and I just feel fatigued. Linda wanted an evaluation done before I leave for the day."

"That virus is getting everyone. Okay I'm just gonna take your vital signs, draw some blood and take a urine sample. The doctor will take a quick look at you before you leave."

After she was done, she gave me a warm smile and told me to feel better as she left the room.

I sat still in the exam room while I felt a sudden headache coming onto me.

I looked up as the doctor walked in.

"Miss Amelia Warner?" She asked as she took a look at my chart.