Chapter 32.

I stand in the book shop with Sadie and Abel. Abel is jumping around, and Sadie is in her rocker sleeping. "Up, up!" Abel calls out as he dances to the music I'm playing. I laugh and agree to turn it up so that he can enjoy his dance party. "Dance, Mama!" I watch as he rushes over to me, grabbing my hands and swaying my arms side to side to the music.

I laugh and begin to dance with the young boy, "Close my eyes, count to ten, ready or not here I come again." I sing along to the music, dancing with Abel as he radiates nothing but joy. "I can't find him anywhere, don't take eyes to see that my brother's always been there, just been a hide and seek."

Abel laughs and he lets go of my hands before he does his solo dance. I chuckle as I watch the little boy dancing to the acoustic rock music. I begin to clap to the beat for him and he begins to laugh while he spins in circles, dancing along. "Searching for the answer, looking clouded and concealed. Cast away the past and future, find the truth in honesty." I sing along to the White Buffalo song as Abel continues to dance. He takes my hand once more and begins to sway to the music with me.

The song ends and Abel throws his hands up as he begins to cheer. "Yay!" I laugh and kiss his forehead before looking over to Sadie who just slept through our whole dance party. I walk back to the desk and hear the front door open. I look up to the door and notice a woman who I thought was long gone.

I clear my throat and paste a fake smile on my face. "Wendy, it's good to see you. What're you doing here?" I ask as I walk around the desk and towards the woman. Abel is reading in the kids corner and doesn't notice the new presence.

"I'm back from Seattle. Finished my sober living program, and moved back a couple of weeks ago." She tells me kindly and I nod, happy to know that she's been able to accomplish her sober goals.

"That's great, you must be so proud of yourself." I tell her happily and she nods, looking behind me at Abel.

"I heard about your daughter, I'm happy for you and Jax." She tells me as she looks over at the sleeping baby. I nod, crossing my arms in front of my chest, hugging my large cardigan closer to my body.

"Thanks." I chuckle, "I don't really know what to say here if I'm being honest. It feels awkward and forced."

Wendy nods, "I don't know what to say either." She admits before sighing, "I've just been waiting for the right time to reach out." I let out a cough and give her a confused look. "I don't want to cause any trouble, Kacey."

"What is it you want, Wendy?"

Wendy takes a deep breath before looking back at Abel, "I want to see my son."

I feel an immediate defense coming over me and I clear my throat, "I'm his mother, Wendy. I'm the one who raised him when both you and Tara left."

Wendy nods, "I know, and I'm so thankful that you were here to do that, but I'm legally still Abel's mother." I sigh, looking around before running a hand through my hair.

"You gave up your rights a long time ago, Wendy. you chose to not be a part of that little boy's life when you decided to overdose on crank versus be healthy for that baby."

"Custody rights." She corrects me, "It's not the right time for him to know the truth, but here." She hands me a card and I analyze it, noticing her information is printed on it. "My number is on the card. Tell Jax I'll be in touch. I'm going to get to know my son." She tells me sternly before turning around and walking out of the store.

I stand in awe and shock, not knowing how to process what had just happened. I feel an arm wrap around the back of my legs and Abel walks around me, looking up at me. "Who that, Mama?" He asks me and I shake my head before picking him up.