Chapter 35.

I sit outside of Kacey's hospital room, my hair a mess and bags under my eyes as I continue waiting for her to wake up. I stare at the white tile, and my eyelids begin to feel heavy as my breathing slows down, preparing my body for sleep. "Jax." I hear someone call out to me and I look over to see Jeff standing near me, a cup of coffee in his hand. I watch as he takes a sip of his coffee, peering through the window of his daughter's hospital room. "How's she doing?"

I take a drink of my coffee and continue staring at the floor, "She still hasn't woken up." I tell him softly, feeling the guilt take over, tightening my chest. "I should've stayed home with her that day. I should've just taken a day off from the club." It's been three weeks since Kacey's incident, and she's officially been declared as in a coma.

Jeff sighs, looking down at me, "You can't blame yourself for this, Jax. You didn't do this to her, she didn't even do this to herself. Some asshole set this up for someone else, and she got the shit end of it." Jeff tells me calmly, before taking a deep breath, "It's going to work out, it has to."

I look up at the aging man, wishing I could believe him and join in on his optimistic perspective. "I hope so. Abel keeps asking about her, I don't know what to tell him anymore."

"Mr. Teller, Mr. James?" We both look behind us to see Kacey's doctor standing there with files in his hands. "May we go and find a private place to speak?" He asks, signaling to Kacey's hospital room. We both nod and I get out of the chair, walking inside of the hospital room.

I see Kacey laying there, her long hair splayed out in curls and waves, and her skin is pale. My heart shatters when I see her, knowing this is my fault and because of the club in one way or another. "What's going on, doctor?" Jeff asks firmly, wanting to find out why he suggested we speak in a private space.

The doctor looks at Jeff and I before taking a deep breath and looking down at his paperwork. "We've been running tests on Kacey, tests that can usually help us predict if and how long someone will remain in their coma." He starts, and I raise my eyebrow, crossing my arms after I set my coffee down on the windowsill. "The test results for Kacey are slim to none."

I feel the air in my chest cut off and my throat close in as I look at the doctor in shock. "W-What? What does that mean?" I ask him in disbelief, not knowing how to react to such a daunting situation.

The doctor takes one more deep breath before looking between Jeff and I. "I'm sorry, but it is very unlikely that Kacey will awake from this coma. She has suffered a great deal of brain injury from the fall, and if that doesn't kill her, the coma itself will." He tells us, not sugar-coating the facts. I grip onto the end of the bed, feeling my legs get weak as he continues to tell us about Kacey's condition. "It's only getting worse, and I will be shocked to see her come out of this without severe brain trauma, let alone alive."

"No, you're wrong." Jeff tells the doctor softly as he looks over to his daughter, "You're wrong, run the tests again." He directs the doctor sternly, shaking his head as he continues to listen to the doctor gives us the results of Kacey's tests.

The doctor sighs, clutching the papers to his chest, "I'm sorry, Mr. James, we ran multiple tests... They all concluded the same. We can only do so much for her, and we're doing all that we can, but I'm sorry... She isn't going to make it."

Jeff shakes his head, tears dripping from his eyes and falling down his cheeks as he walks over to his daughter in the hospital bed, reaching over and gripping her cold hand. "My baby girl, my little girl." Jeff cries to his daughter. "My sweet, little Kacey." He continues to sob into his daughter as she lays there unresponsive. He begins to play with her hair as he cries into her, "You come back to me, come back baby." 

"You can decide to pull the plug or not, but we-"

"We aren't pulling any plug. I'm not giving up on my fiancé!" I shout at the doctor before turning to Kacey and seeing Jeff holding and sobbing to his daughter. "You need to leave." I tell the doctor, "Now!" I scream at him before storming past him and rushing out of the hospital room. I reach for the side of the hallway, propping myself up as I let out a blood-curdling, heart destroying scream of agony. I can hardly breathe, I can't wrap my mind around this, around losing her for good. I lean my back to the wall and drop to the ground, letting out a loud cry as I hold my knees to my chest.

She's gone.

--

Hey guys.

There has been a sequel released for this story... It's called Drunkard's Prayer, and the link to it is here: 

https://www.wattpad.com/719521224-drunkard%27s-prayer-prologue

Feel free to continue following the adventure of Jax, Abel and Sadie Teller.