Chapter Seventeen: Part One: Reject Tribe Forms

Lizzy's POV
It's been a month since we all started trusting Luke. None of us completely trust Ailith though. It seemed like Ailith was trying to put her and Owen's relationship back together. "Forest," I whispered, "why are you a reject?"

"Because I killed my tribe's leader's sibling," he whispered back, "so I was considered a reject. How 'bout you?"

"I really don't know why I am considered a reject," I whispered, "I was never told and I never tried to join another tribe after I left Owen."

"Why did you leave your family in the first place?" he asked.

"I left because Owen planned on crossing the Great Lake," I answered, "and I didn't want to go across."

I thought about crossing it though a million times after I left them though. The closes I got to crossing it was at the shore line and then I walked away. We got to a river and filled the canteens again. Forest and I stopped talking miles back and I kept thinking of the time I almost crossed the Great Lake. A few yards down there was a girl filling up a canteen of water. "Hadley, look," I whispered, "doesn't that look like Evony."

"It does," she whispered back.

Hadley started walking over to her. When she got there her and Evony started to talk. They were both laughing after five minutes. Evony and Hadley started walking back over here. "Lizzy!" Evony exclaimed, "it's been ten years."

"Evony, you look so different," I replied, "your hair use to be brown now it's a mahogany."

"I know it's changed," she replied, "I don't know how though."

"It's beautiful," I replied.

"Is that Evony?" Owen asked walking over here.

"Yeah," Evony responded, "It's been awhile."

"What's all happened to you over the last ten years?" Hadley asked her.

"I've been considered a reject from every tribe from helping you guys," she replied, "by giving you some of the food and water. Walter kicked me out a few years later."

"I'm sorry, Evony," Owen apologized, "I never wanted you to get kicked out."

"It's okay," she responded, "He at least taught me everything I needed to know to survive. That's the best thing my brother ever gave me."

"I totally forgot that Walter was your brother," Hadley responded, "He never really treated you like you were his little sister."

"Because he hated me from the day I was born," she whispered, "he never liked me but he never wanted me dead. Plus he never wanted to jeopardize his role as Tribe Leader."

"Your brother did have a kind side to him," Owen said, "I hope you know that."

Florence's POV
When Hadley walked off and brought a girl back I was confused. She was happy to see the girl. It seemed like most the time she saw someone they either wanted her dead or to find something she hid from them. This person though was just happy to see her and Lizzy. Her name is Evony, which is a really rare name. Supposedly her brother kicked her out of the tribe that Owen, Hadley, and Lizzy got kicked out of years ago. It was dark when they all got tired of talking. Hadley was sitting down near the river when I walked over to her. I haven't really been talking or listening to what they've been talking about. "How long have you known Evony?" I asked her.

"Forever, I guess," she replied, "I've known her forever."

"Hadley, can you just kill me so the plant doesn't have to die," I begged, "there is no reason for everyone to die if you can save them all."