Orphic

Once upon a time in a land far away, so far that no one knows where it is anymore, lived a lovely yet skinny maiden of seventeen with hair of gold. Her ocean blue eyes could captivate any person who would dare to stare at them. On most days, she could be seen in the marketplace, dressed in what could barely pass as clothes. The once long dress that reached her ankles were barely hanging a few inches below her knee a pair of boots that looked like it had seen the fates of multiple wars. Although the dress became shorter, it did not become tight. A small scarf was tied onto her head in place of a warm bonnet. She almost does not have anything else to change into. At least her current wear gave her the warmth she needed. But as a year comes to an end, so does the warmth of the scraps of cloth give. Snow is definitely her least favorite thing.

It was that time of year once again. The sickening joyous songs of carol that filled the streets grated in her ears. She wished nothing more but to just shut herself out of this. Sadly, she cannot, at least, not at the moment. How she wished she could be one of those who sang merrily along the streets. She is sure to have a more melodious voice than those 'singers' anyway. A canary has more musicality than all of them combined. How anyone enjoys them is beyond her. But of course, that is based entirely on her opinion. Her brothers and sisters are better than those nobles who claim to have angelic voices, taking up lessons to improve them. More like, making it sound presentable, in her perspective.

She watched intently as the snowflakes danced in the air before plopping down with the rest of the pile of snow on the ground. This is good news for her. Once the snow piles up good that night, chances are, that next morning they would have a lot of opportunities to 'reap' a few pieces of bread.

She hated the term 'steal'. More like, taking from the rich to give to the poor. Kind of like what the hero in a book she read before. Robin Hood, she believes his name is. His gallant deeds were an inspiration to them and her band of thieves.

Orphans have no place in the world. They could not trust nor rely anyone but themselves and their fellow orphans. Taking refuge in an abandoned church outside of town since as long as she can remember. The windows are broken, the roof leaks and the floorboards and walls are barely holding up. Not the ideal place for anyone, but it was all they had.

Those men in tin cans who claim to be chivalrous and brave are easy targets despite their military experience. Just wait for one to be drop dead drunk, then all of them could last a few days with food in their bellies.

They never celebrated Christmas. The bright lights and colorful decorations look so inviting, so joyous. But what do they have? Nothing. Not even a roof over their heads. And how Rin wishes to it them experience the joy of Christmas, but for now, they need to be thankful to have warm clothes for the winter. She and another member of the group manages to sew a few blankets from the scraps of cloth they managed collect earlier on. And every year, they would manage to scrape a few coins to buy some clothings for the other orphans, starting from the youngest. Only she and three of the strongest children have no proper winter clothes.

During the spring, Rin would be working at the fields as an errand girl. She would tend to the local sheep in rotation when they needed to graze in the pasture in exchange for a few copper coins. Or sometimes she would do laundry, dye cloths, or even carry merchandise. And just recently, she is trying to learn the art of knitting at stitching. It would be useful once she has learned the craft since it would be much cheaper to make their own clothes than to buy some. She already started stitching scraps as blankets. This would be the ladies' work while manual labor is left for the men. But of course, this would not sustain them all. The more capable kids would be the 'reapers'.