The Sleeping Curse (8)

It was the night of the big game, and Alec was in the locker room getting ready. The Coach had come in to a give them a big pep-talk about how they should work as a team and how they have to give it their all, but Alec wasn't really paying attention.

"Head in the game, Lightwood!" Jordan yelled at him, noticing his distantness. "Whatever's going on between you and your brother, you two need to scrap it out before you both cost us the game."

"It's not Jace," Alec explained. He caught Jace's eyes, and his brother turned away. Jace hadn't gotten any better. He was really sticking to his "no talking" threat.

"I don't care what it is, Alec. Just-- leave your baggage in here and don't bring it to the field." Jordan patted his shoulder. "Come on, you've worked too hard to let whatever's bugging you in the way of the game." Alec nodded. "See you on the field." Jordan walked away, leaving Alec to his own thoughts. So many things were rushing through Alec's mind. He was still confused and sad about the whole 'I love you' thing. He was nervous about coming out to his family tonight. He was a whole mess of emotions but Jordan was right. Alec had to forget about all of that now. He had a game to play and a team to make proud.

~***~

The night reflected Alec's mood. It was raining, and dark. The football fields lights were blindingly bright and he could barely see the crowd in the stands, but he could hear them. It felt and sounded as if the entire school had showed up for the game. The team huddled up and Jordan called the play. They all broke apart and went to their positions.

The game went by fast and it wasn't long until they were down to the final play. They were tied with opposing school and everyone was on edge. For Alec, the last final seconds went in slow motion. They huddled, broke apart, charged and then Alec blackout. The last thing that he remembered was being tackled by two players and getting elbowed in the helmet. He saw everything go black, and he fell to the ground. He heard people yelling, he heard his coach and Jace but he couldn't see anything.

"Alec?!" he could hear someone calling his name. 

"Hey, stay awake, Alec." another said.

"Come on, Lightwood!" someone else shouted. Everything faded away, and Alec lost consciousness.