Magnus' Lament (16)

Magnus walked into Alec's hospital room expecting to be alone, but found Isabelle Lightwood sitting on a chair beside Alec.

"Isabelle?" Magnus said. The girl looked up at him, her eyes wide.

"Magnus!" she cried, loud enough to get her surprise across but quietly enough not to disturb the hospital environment. She flung herself into his arms. Although they had never actually met, besides Chairman's birthday which doesn't count (everyone was too drunk), it felt as if they had known each other for forever. Their texting and calling and shared worry about Alec made it feel as though they knew each other. He hugged her back.

"I'm sorry! I forgot you were coming home today! I would have picked you up--"

"Don't worry about it. Aren't you supposed to be at home? What happened to your 'day off duty'?" She looked at Alec.

"I can't be at home when he's here." Magnus had just noticed Alec. His Alec, who was unmoving in bed, wore a look of peacefulness. He had the covers up to his waist and his hands were folded over his chest. His face was scratched and bruised by nothing he couldn't heal from. It felt odd to see him like this, after constantly wondering what state he was in.

"I'll leave you alone with him." Isabelle rubbed his arm and left. Magnus could see that Alec and his sister both shared the same strength, intelligence and resilience in addition to their striking resemblance.

Magnus moved to Alec's side. He wanted to take him into his arms, or hold his hand but he felt as if he might break him if he did. He sat down and put his hands in his lap instead.

"Alexander. My Alexander. How I've missed you. You should have been in Paris with me. You would have loved the lights and the architecture, and the museums." Alec didn't move. "You know, your sister is a gem. She made sure she kept me updated. She even took care of Chairman! I know, what else did I expect from a Lightwood? And on her order I bought you a beautiful blue sweater that I'm just dying for you to wear. And to answer your question, yes it comes with a matching scarf." Magnus had a few silent tears slip from his eyes. He wiped them away. "I feel as if-- I love you, darling. I hope you know that. I didn't say it back because... I told your sister it was because I didn't think you loved me and I was lying. I knew you loved me but when you said it, it made everything real. I spent my entire life not really knowing or having or understanding love. My mother killed herself, I never knew my father and my step-dad was abusive. When he died, I ran. I ran until I got caught and then I was sent to foster care. No one really loved me there, either. You are the first person who had shown me what it feels to love." Magnus knew that even if he and Alexander didn't last, he would never forget him. He would always be Magnus' first love. The one who taught him to love.

"I need you to wake up because- because Isabelle needs you and the blond one needs you too. Your parents need you... I need you. I need you to wake up because you need to actually hear me say "I love you" back. We need to spend Christmas together. We need to celebrate New Year's and Valentine's day. We need to go on a March break trip and we need to go to Prom and Graduation. You need to go to University and then I'll become a famous fashion designer and we'll get married and have a bigger wedding than... name any Kardashian. Then we'll have kids and we'll spend the rest of our lives stupidly wealthy on love and family. I need you to wake up, Alexander because you're too young. To young to leave us. You have a future darling whether that includes me or not. You have forever ahead of you. You can't give up on yourself because none of us have given up on you." At the end of Magnus' rambly, tear filled monologue, he heard a sob behind him. Isabelle had been watching and listening. Jace had also entered with Tessa and they were all in a state of sadness or shock. Jace put an arm around his sister. His eyes looked as if they were fill with a sudden understanding. In the midst of everything no one was paying attention to Alec; everyone was looking at Magnus. Magnus, who had put his on Alec's midway through his speech, felt a squeeze. His attention jumped to Alec, whose eyes were fluttering open. Magnus rose from the chair and stood over Alec, who had just opened his eyes a little bit as if the room were too bright. Magnus looked over to Tessa who was in a state of shock. She quickly ran to the hall.

"NURSES!" she shouted, before picking up the room phone. "I need a doctor to room 8004."