Isabelle's Lament (10)

Isabelle had the first shift staying with Alec. Simon protested to stay with her, but she sent him away with the others to get something to eat. They'd all had a really long night and an even longer one ahead of them. Isabelle was sitting in a plastic chair, which she had pulled up to Alec's side; she held his hand in hers.

"They um... they told me you can hear me," she began, looking down at their entwined hands. "I hope that's true because it's already weird talking to you, and it would be weirder if you couldn't even hear me." Alec didn't say anything, he didn't even move. "I hope you can hear me, though. I... I can't... You'd better wake up. I am not living alone with Jace and mom and dad. Oh, mom and dad. You have to wake up for them too. They already lost Max-- we've already lost Max." Max Lightwood was the youngest child. Isabelle was driving him to school one morning because Alec and Jace had gone to practice. A car in front of her slammed their brakes and Izzy slammed on hers. The car behind her didn't react quickly enough and they rear ended her car. Max was sitting in the backseat because he wasn't old enough to ride in the front yet, he was too small. Isabelle was fine, she had a concussion and a broken rib from the airbag but Max didn't make it. He was so small. "Max was my fault," she began to cry. "It was my fault he died. I... you can't die too. Please just wake up," she begged. There was a knock at the door and Isabelle quickly wiped away her tears and looked up. A nurse was standing in the doorway with Alec's gym bag.

"Sorry to bother you dear," she said. "A boy named Jordan dropped this bag off for you. He said it's your brother's and that you might want to have it." The nurse offered her the bag and she took it onto her lap.

"Thank you...?"

"Tessa," the brown haired nurse answered.

"Thank you, Tessa." She nodded before leaving down the hall again. Isabelle opened up the duffle bag and rummaged through it, stumbling upon Alec's phone. She powered it back on and her heart sank. There were thirty missed messages from Magnus. She unlocked his phone and read the texts.

We're in Paris!

Have a great game!

Did you win?

Alec?

Darling if it's about what happened this morning I was just surprised, that's all.

Dear, pick up your phone. We can talk about this.

Alexander? Is everything alright?

The messages went on and on in the same fashion. Isabelle found herself crying again.

"Oh, Alec. That boy does love you. You need to wake up for him," she said through her tears. She looked up at the clock it was a quarter past midnight. France was six hours ahead, it would be around six am in Paris. Isabelle knew she had to call Magnus. She knew that if anyone besides their family need to know it was him. She waited until she stopped crying because she knew that her sobbing over the phone wouldn't help anybody. She unlocked his phone and dialed Magnus' number. He didn't pick up. She tried again, and again, and again until finally he answered.

"Alexander? Oh thank God I--"

"Magnus?" Isabelle asked. Magnus paused. "Magnus Bane? This is, um, this is Isabelle Lightwood, Alec's sister."

"Isabelle? What's wrong? Why do you have Alec's phone?" It was Isabelle's turn to pause. She didn't plan how she was going to tell him. Hundreds of different ways to phrase it raced through her mind. "Isabelle? Is everything okay?" Izzy didn't mean to start crying again but something in Magnus' voice caused her to break down. Maybe it was the worry or the love in his tone or maybe it was because even talking about the situation made her emotional.

"Isabelle, you have to calm down, what's wrong? Is Alec hurt? Where is he?" His voice was calm but she could tell he was freaking out.

"He um..." she finally began. "He got tackled during the game and he got hit pretty hard... he um... he's in the hospital and he's not responding. The doctor says he's in a coma." There was an painful silence between the two. She kept going. "They told us that if he doesn't wake up soon, he might have severe brain damage and if he goes too long, he might never wake up and he'll need to be on life support." Silence. "I know that you two are dating. Alec told me a week ago and I--I knew that he'd want you to know. I-- know that you'd want to know."

"Thank you," Magnus finally said. His voice was small yet firm. She could tell he was just as upset as she was.

"I'll keep you updated through his phone. Just--I know you're in Paris and probably won't be able to fly back without the rest of the school so um... just know there's nothing we could have done or that we can do. You not being here-- it um... don't beat yourself up over it. I know saying this means nothing and you won't listen to me but try not to worry about it. Ugh, saying it sounds stupid. Just, yeah. It's Paris you know, and Alec wouldn't want you to lock yourself in your room or anything like that. Go out and see it and for the love of God buy Alec some clothes." Magnus laughed.

"They are horrendous aren't they?" Magnus said, knowingly.

"The absolute worst. They look like he found them in a dumpster! We'd all benefit from him having a new shirt or something."

"Thank you, Isabelle. For calling me. It would have been worse not knowing."

"I know and um... Alec, he did-does love you. He meant it this morning."

"I was so stupid," Magnus groaned. "I should have said it back. I was just-- I thought he didn't love me and I was stupid you know? I didn't say it back because I wasn't expecting it."

"Do you love him?"

"Of course I do and now he's in a coma thinking I don't."

"Don't do this to yourself Magnus. He does know it. He does."

"Thank you."

"I'll keep you posted. Oh, and I'll watch your cat by the way."

"What?"

"Alec told be he was going to watch your cat, so I'll do it now."

"You don't--thank you."

"I'll talk to you soon." They said goodbye and Isabelle hung up the phone just as Jace walked into the room.

"Who was that?" he asked handing her a cup of coffee. She wiped her face with her sleeve. "Is that Alec's phone." She looked at it and slipped it into her pocket.

"I've got to go somewhere." Isabelle swiped Magnus' house key off the table where the doctor had put it after removing it from Alec's neck.

"Where are you going?"

"I have to feed a cat." She made her way out of the room quickly and headed to her car. Maybe taking care of a cat will keep her mind off of everything.